Converting to Windows 11

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Converting to Windows 11

Post by chrispbits »

At least in the process of. It has been, and still is, a faf. PC is compatible - except it wasn't set up for Secure Boot. No problem thinks me... not quite so quick says BIOS. One BIOS update later I discover my M2 drive has got in on the act by being a plain old MBR type drive. Fortunately there's a useful conversion to GPT utility but further resistance from the M2 - much more room needed for the conversion process. Squeezing stones to create the space I need.

What is it with these things? Don't they want Windows 11? :lol:

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Converting to Windows 11

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Mate... stall the digger. It doesn't need to be GPT for secure boot, or for Windows 11!!

But if you've already converted it, it should be fine. You get issues converting the system drive sometimes though. :worried:

Here's an example below...
2021-11-10.jpg
2021-11-10.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 704 times
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Thanks for that Ben. My problem is that I'm not seeing the M2 as a boot drive in BIOS when attempting to use Secure Boot. It's suggested in a number of places that it being MBR is the root cause. Having said that, if I do convert and still don't see it then I'm b*ggered. There's no going back after a successful conversion.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Tbh, if you can, I’d back it up and do a clean install. Most likely is that Win 11 needs a driver to see the M.2 drive in pre install environment? What make / model is your motherboard? Do you have any other Sata drives connected? On my last computer it would only see the M.2 if the Satas were disconnected. After install it was fine though.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Conversion to GPT completed. It was a bit bizarre to be honest. The conversion was failing on the allocation of 100Mb for EFI despite there being plenty of free space. In the end I shrank the volume by 100Mb. That did the trick but instead of using the space I had created, the conversion process stole another 100Mb leaving the other 100Mb untouched. :dunno:

Now running with Secure Boot... but Windows update says that my PC still isn't compatible with W11 but the MS health check says that it is! Go figure.

BTW you'll probably find that your boot drive is GPT. If you right click on the disk I'd you'll see a greyed out "Convert to MBR" if GPT or a greyed out "Convert to GPT" if not.