Screenshots in MSFS - HDR

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Screenshots in MSFS - HDR

Post by TSR2 »

Hi guys, I'm hoping some of you may know the answer to this. I've set windows to use HDR and MSFS uses it too now. In game and on screen everything looks great, but when I take screenshots, they're completely washed out. I'm just using the print screen button. Any ideas?
2021-11-19 (14).jpg
2021-11-19 (14).jpg (204.59 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Screenshots in MSFS - HDR

Post by Filonian »

Not tried to take any myself Ben.
Perhaps this will give some assistance.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/news/ ... -simulator

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

With hat , coat , door open ... perhaps it's because of the old Rules of The Air .. Rule 5 , no closer than 500' from any person , vessel , vehicle , or structure !

Or Anything to do with modern 'pootering for 'fotos .......having to set aperture , shutter speed , 'filum speed ......

Car running ready for quick gettaway ..

Sorry no idea .

rgds dave f.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Just out of interest Ben, do 3rd party screen capture progs work better ? I use Pic Pick, which might be worth a try.

https://picpick.app/en/

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

I had a quick look on Google to confirm my suspicion, and found this:
SDR is 8-bit (256 values for each RGB color), and HDR is 10-bit (1024 values for each RGB color). Most software still only captures images in 8-bit formats, since HDR is not really that popular on PC. Such formats only allow you to see 25% (256) of all the 1024 values. That's why the screenshots taken by those programs in those formats look washed out of colors - you can see only 25% of 10-bit colors captured in an 8-bit image.
To solve this, you need to be able to save the image to a format that captures 10-bit colour, either in a special format or by mapping the 10-bit colour information to an 8-bit image which takes a bit of processing behind the scenes.

Sorry, no quick and easy solution I'm afraid. It might be worthwhile looking at other screen capture software as suggested.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Cheers for the info chaps, and sorry for the tardiness in the reply.

I did some experiments and concluded that, to be able to take screenshots in MSFS and still enjoy it… I should just switch HDR off 😁

There is an awful lot of post production work and general “fancying about” to actually take a screenshot in HDR that you could use on t’internet
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage