The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

MSFS: Steam or MS Store

Post by Paul K »

Hi Chaps,

There's a lot of discussion on the web about the advantages, or otherwise, of one versus the other. I'm probably going to buy MSFS from Steam, because from what I've read, Steam allows you more flexibility when it comes to installation. I'm also told that you avoid a lot of MS store issues with updates, and that VR support is better with Steam.

Any comments of observations would be interesting to read. :cheers:

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: MSFS: Steam or MS Store

Post by DaveG »

I got mine from the MS Store. As far as installation is concerned, the main program itself and the encrypted premium content is on the main C drive, I don't think that's moveable, but the bulk of the content, both official and community, it's on my D drive. You get the option of where to install this during the setup. I've never needed to look in the folders on the C drive.
Regarding updates, all mine so far except one have been smooth and without issues. The one exception was when the MS Store simply didn't show the update as being available, although the sim knew it was! I had to log out of the store, and log back in before it showed the update. Not a big issue but a bit annoying at the time.
Can't comment on VR being better on Steam, it works just fine for me on the Store version though.
If I was buying now, I'd probably go the Steam route, as the MS Store is a bit clunky and generally crap, but as far as the sim is concerned, I don't think it matters a great deal.
Dave G.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks Dave - I've read a number of people saying that if they were starting from scratch again, they would use Steam.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Question about Steam installation - from what I can see, you choose the installation location twice. The first time is when you run the Steam installer, and the second time is when you download the packages from the Microsoft store. So, do you have to specify the same folder both times ?
For example, say I put the Steam installer in:

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common..

Do I install the 100Gb packages in that same folder, or can I create a separate folder, for example:

D:\MSFS

A screenshot of people's installation folders would be good. 🙂

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Don't know if this will help Paul. Mine is a Store version. I opted to install the bulk of the sim on drive G, (official, community folders and cache) . The SDK is on the C drive (dont know why i did that ) Windows apps installed on the D drive, where most of the workings seem to reside.
It works!!! If ever I get round to a reinstall, I will think more carefully when it gives you the install location options.
Dale
Screenshot (830).png
(196.95 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
Image Image Image

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Hi Dale - thanks for that. I'm hoping to get everything all on the same SSD. I'll have to watch out for the SDK. Very helpful, thank you. :)

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi Paul
The SDK is a separate download. I didn't install it straight away
Dale
Image Image Image

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Vc Ten wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 21:17
Hi Paul
The SDK is a separate download. I didn't install it straight away
Dale
Ah, I see, gotcha. I don't suppose I'll have any need for the SDK -or will I ?

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

You need to be in developer mode to be able to display fps. Can't remember if you need the SDK for that :dunno:
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

And there’s a special shortcut that allows it to start without all the cinematically to speed up starting.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage