Flight planners for MSFS2020

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Flight planners for MSFS2020

Post by Paul K »

I used to use Plan G in P3D, but I'm also looking at Little Nav Map for use in MSFS. Has anyone else used these, and have any thoughts about which is better ? I know MSFS has its own planner, but I fancy something with more capabilities.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Flight planners for MSFS2020

Post by TSR2 »

I’m a fan of LNM 👍
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Another vote for Little Nav Map.
I used to use Plan-G, but not for a couple of years now.
I founded it rather sluggish and slow to use but it may have improved since. LNM is very powerful, but the display can be a bit cluttered although you can adjust things to suit your taste.
Dave G.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks, chaps. :thumbsup:

Dave, I know what you mean when you say Plan G is a bit sluggish. I had hoped the new computer might correct that, but the delay in redrawing the map when zooming in and out is still a problem. More research needed there. LNM is faster, but blimey, do I really need all those panels, tabs and buttons just to go from Norwich to Duxford ? There must be a way of cutting it down to a simpler layout.

I shall keep experimenting with LNM today, but I have this dread feeling I'm going to have to read the manual. All and any futher thoughts are welcome.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Paul, forget the manual!! I have been using LMN for a good few years and it is absolutely brilliant and have never used the manual!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Paul, have found a thread that I started last year and hopefully this will appeal to you for your VFR Flights.

2 pages and also diagrams to help you as you can use the map for visual navigation but much better if you do it without showing the position of your aircraft (called Cheating) :poke: :lol:

viewtopic.php?p=354636#p354636

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks for that Nigel, very helpful. Like you, I won't be using the 'moving map' feature as it takes away the challenge of navigating, particularly if you like VORs and NDBs, like me. I'm not certain whether MSFS has an equivalent of Avitab, but I shall be using a second monitor anyway. :)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel H-J wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 14:59
Paul, forget the manual!! I have been using LMN for a good few years and it is absolutely brilliant and have never used the manual!! :lol:
Thank God! I almost broke out into a sweat there.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Paul, take a look at the triangle route in the link, what I did was to zoom the map in to get as much detail as possible such as small villages etc. then take a screen shot and save it as say map1, I think for the first leg I had to take 2 screen shots so that I could get as much detail as possible then saved it as map2 as soon as I came to the edge of the first map I then selected the 2nd map. It may take for the whole of that triangle route something like 5-6 screen shots but once done and flown it really makes you feel as having achieved a good navigational task.

I used Irfanview to paste my screenshots and save them, well worth using and it is free!!

Get it here: https://www.irfanview.com/64bit.htm

'Appy flying!! :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a second monitor running on this computer. I have MSFS running on the main one, with LNM running on the second, so I can look at the route, zoom in and out, move it round etc. I've spent most of the afternoon going through the manual, and trying things out, and I must say it's LNM for me from now on. Very nice indeed - as complex or as simple as I need it. I've just done the VFR tutorial flight from Meythet to Challes-Les-Eaux, and it worked very well. Had to do an extra circuit to descend fully, but all in all, very good! :)