Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Update to Win 11 Available - Looking for Advice

Post by Nigel H-J »

Update just came up on my computer, now do I or don't I? :dunno:

It also says that some Win10 features will not be available in Win 11. :dunno:

I think Ben went for it to try out but if I go ahead should it be a clean install or just let it do its' own thing and update. :dunno:

Basically, I have everything set up on my computer and also had a fun time installing my Quest 2 (which I do not want to go through again) :wall:

If I go for a clean install does that mean that any software on C:/ goes for a burton and it all has to be re-installed again such as Steam? :dunno:

As you can guess I am in limbo with this and need advice on whether to go ahead or stay as I am! :dunno:

:help:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Update to Win 11 Available - Looking for Advice

Post by DaveG »

I'm in the same position Nigel.
Really don't want to do a clean install as it would take forever to get everything back on, & Win10 is working fine as it is. Bit wary of some crucial piece of software not working too.
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I did the clean install on a new SSD and haven't had any problems tbh.. I've also done an in-place upgrade from Windows 10 to W11 on the kids computer as that wasn't too important, and that also went without issues. That said, its not like the girls are using anything other than a browser tbh.

If there's nothing spoiling, there's no need to upgrade. W10 will be supported for 3 more years, so you could just leave it until you need a new machine.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I think the upgrade gives one a choice to revert up to 10 days later - at least thats what I saw on wifes laptop. She didn't like the changes so has reverted. One thing I have noticed though on my W10 is that the restore function seems to have been moved & not sure how to set one & M$ seem to be stopping the ability to refuse updates. My latest update to w10 is 20H2 OS build 19042.1466, with another update in the wings....the last update taking 6-7 hours!!!!! I don't think my aged device will take the w11 change, it can't take the X plane 11 trial.
After that massive beast I immediately checked my FS9 & FSX installations - they would not load! Web searching found lots of gaming problems, but following days start up everything worked OK! AMAZING!
I suggest you look through where things now are before saying yes to w11. My impression is that W11 just looks prettier in the 'front end' with some items explained better.
Keith

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

For what it's worth, I have W11 installed on my computer, but it came installed, rather than an upgrade from W10. Everything MSFS-wise is running beautifully, as is X-Plane 11.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

W10 will be supported for 3 more years, so you could just leave it until you need a new machine.
Ben, how the hell do I get round the wife for one!! :poke: :lol:

You took the easy path in getting Win 11 then Paul. :poke:

OK, guess it is time to do it tomorrow, but not looking forward to it I can tell you!! :cpu:

Regards
Nigel.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Nigel H-J wrote:
27 Jan 2022, 16:21
W10 will be supported for 3 more years, so you could just leave it until you need a new machine.
Ben, how the hell do I get round the wife for one!! :poke: :lol:
I don’t have one of those to worry about :lol: :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I don’t have one of those to worry about :lol: :thumbsup:
:lol: :lol:

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

I had the nag from Microsoft to upgrade to win 11 some time ago Nigel. But I took the decision to leave it be for now. I don't think you will suffer any issues with just going for the upgrade. However I think its "tidier" to do a clean install, there's no trace of the old operating system remaining, the registry is nice and new. If you have any issues currently they can be carried over with just the upgrade route. But as you say all the software will have to be reinstalled as Windows won't know any paths permissions etc. Maybe leave it until just before xp12 comes out, then it the upgrade goes wrong there's less to lose?? Clean install and install xp12 at the same time.
I'll probably leave it for another 12 months or so, then do a clean install on a new ssd. By that time I should have enough of an idea if msfs is going to need a bigger drive as well.
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Dale, many thanks for your input, I may very well do as you wrote and leave it until X-plane 12 comes out. I do have X-Plane 11 on a separate drive though but there are other issues that have started nagging at me and one of them is my Quest 2!! Been trying to find answers as other users have had problems re-installing their device. So not knowing much technically is it best to reset Quest 2 to factory settings then re-install the drivers or just install the Oculus App and hope for the best.

My reasoning (right or wrongly) is that from factory settings then the setup might be easier? I have no idea which way to re-install the Quest 2 even though I have Googled it :dunno:

If any-one can advise it would be extremely helpful.

Regards
Nigel.