Windows 11 Installed.

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Windows 11 Installed.

Post by Nigel H-J »

Well I must admit I am a bit surprised!! :-O Finally after 2 aborted attempts to upgrade to Win 11 due to my internet Hub not working correctly i.e. Windows installer said no internet connection yet I was able to connect to the internet so shut the hub down left it for 15 minutes then re-started it and bingo I was able to get Win 11.

Strangely it did not ask whether I wanted a clean install so just let it get on its' merry way. Not long after it completed installing, signed in and there I was in desktop. I had initially thought that I would have to re-install programmes, Quest 2 (which I was concerned about) any other programmes to run games such as Steam but heck no..........Everything was as I left it before the upgrade. Looking on the C: Drive I have Windows.Old so should I delete it or leave it?

I had prepared a list of programmes needing to re-install but now don't need it! :lol: Even all my settings in Steam games are as they were.

There is a change to the desktop though only very slightly, got some more set upping to do by the looks of i.e. get started but by all accounts easy as ABC and happy that I did it. So for any-one else a bit apprehensive on moving forward with a Windows upgrade I would say just go for it. :Dance:

If I do find something not quite right, will let you chaps know.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Windows 11 Installed.

Post by Paul K »

Congratulations Nigel, a definite case of Who Dares, Wins. ;)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Congratulations Nigel, a definite case of Who Dares, Wins. ;)
:lol: :lol:

Thanks Paul, as previously written I had thought it it wouldgive the option of a clean install however, on reading thorough some help regarding Windows11 is that doing an upgrade from Win 10 or other Windows it does not give that option however, if you wish to do a clean install then look at the following link. I may well do one in a few years but for now, will stick as I am.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-do-c ... windows-11

Regards
Nigel.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

I'm being prompted to do the step-up.
Bit scary as I only have about 3 days' experience with W10 :worried:
Nigel's post gives me some confidence, though reading the info. about what's new, is confusing; all this stuff about Cortana :dunno: and connecting with people, workflow smoothing etc :hide:
I guess all I can do is make the jump, or I'll go back to being a Windows dinosaur again.
btw, W10 cost me nothing, as my W7 activation code was accepted :)

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Just had a text from my tech.
"DO NOT INSTALL W11! IT'S TOO BUGGY.
Will call Monday."

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Don't know anyone who has called it buggy Mike, but each to their own.
I’d suggest now is a good time to do it, as you're getting used to a change anyway, and in a couple of years time you’re going to have to do it.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I did the Win 11 upgrade a couple of weeks ago. No problems here, seems to be running very well. Had to go thorough and turn off all the ads, suggestions and whatnot. Replaced the start menu with Start 11 from Stardock as it gets rid of a load of the crap and turns the start menu back into a more traditional style.
Dave G.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

So far I have not had a problem with Win11, the only thing that I found a bit odd and it still catches me out is the Power Button!!

Other than that, everything fine.

Regards
Nigel.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I have just bought a better (2nd hand) puter as my old graphics card was giving me gyp & the price of new ones has gone through the roof. My son checked it over & put W11 on it. The one thing I don't like is the One Disc cloud as I have always backed up critical things manually, so the files layout started to become 'where the h***l did the master file go' ..... So have effectively turned that off. I needed to instal a fresh FS9 cos for some reason putting Disc 4 in the DVD player doesn't connect when I want the complete S/W installed........So a frustrating week overall & my bl**dy Mercc an A class W169 CVT has just thrown a wobbly where the heater blower resistor has gone phut & will only work on speed 5 which is noisy, & for a long time the remote key RF Tx hasn't worked for some time but will mostly work on the IR frequency has become more reluctant to ackle...... :dunno: I have taken the rear bumper off to get to the air extractor valves & put them back on with sealant cos they were letting water into the spare wheel well - known issue cos the water seems to get places it shouldn't & I think corrodes plug/sockets junctions - but where are those pesky ones!!!!! :wall: ( The heater blower resister plug & socket show a bad corroding surface, but its in a small hole under the drivers footwell, so will have to have another go at cleaning it ).
Might have to save up & see if Mercedes garage can figure it out cos the electrics on most models are akin to working on a computer where all the discrete boxes are spread around the vehicle...its not worth as much as the bill could be!
Keith :(

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

TSR2 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 08:09
Don't know anyone who has called it buggy Mike, but each to their own.
I’d suggest now is a good time to do it, as you're getting used to a change anyway, and in a couple of years time you’re going to have to do it.
Yes, as I said, I know that I have to go forward, Ben.
I have downloaded it, but put it on hold until my man tells me his side.