Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

PCI query

Post by Airspeed »

Hello knowledgeable ones.
The Airspeed computers are 10 years old.
Both have sockets called PCIEX1. One has a single example, the other has 2
I am looking at helping the processing speed with a new SSD that physically appears to fit the PCIEX1.
The advert on the web includes:
Interface: PCIe Gen 3.0 x4,
In your opinion, would our sockets be suitable, or does Gen 3 mean we're out of luck? :help:

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: PCI query

Post by TSR2 »

Its not Mike,

PCIe is reference to the bus and its speed. The SSD's that you're talking about are M.2 connectors and its very unlikely your board will have any M.2 slots.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

In the case of no M2 ports on your mother board, there are adapters available Mike, that allow you to connect an M2 Pci ssd to a standard Pci connection. In theory a pci express gen 3 port, should give you a transfer speed 4 times that of a sata ssd connection But it depends on you system bios and what else you have plugged into your pci interface (graphic cards etc) https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akasa-m. ... NYEALw_wcB
There are ssd drives that have a standard pci interface connection, but are ridiculously expensive Read this Mike > https://www.scan.co.uk/buying-guides/in ... ntionsSize
Dale
Image Image Image

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.
Looks like I'll have to get Mrs A another SATA SSD.
The last one refused to boot after migration, so I chucked a mechanical drive in.
Strangely, when I put "her" SSD into mine, to use for storage, the blasted thing booted my machine into W10.
Eventually formatted it, and it is part of my system.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Right, we spent another $120 on a new SSD.
Used the Samsung cloning software, and it was "successful" :dunno:
Rebooted the machine with the old disc removed.
It tries to boot, stopping at various points in the process. How can something as fixed as a computer do different things under identical conditions?
Sometimes it gets as far as launching W10, but after a minute maximum, the mouse freezes and another reboot is needed.
Jumped in quick and asked it to update the mouse driver, but of course "the device is working properly", AND "the current driver is the best for this device"
Standard W responses, and equally incorrect.
When it freezes, the optical mouse red light goes out.
Left to sort itself out, it eventually tells us that our "device ran into a problem, we'll gather some information and restart"
It does this, but locks up at the "Admin" window.
Then it will restart and actually start W10 (sometimes), followed by the mouse freezing and back to square one.
90% of the time, Mrs A is only looking at pictures of wildlife, not thrashing the beast with the latest video game.
To give her some access, I tried reconnecting the old disc, which has now decided that it can't open W10 :doh:
So, instead of speeding up her machine, it is totally useless.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Well, we got that one sorted through a local IT bloke :)

BUT then the Airspeed machine went mental.
This time, I'm told that the motherboard is dead, and the only way out is a new build.
The video card and data discs will be OK, but that's it.
Waiting on a price in the next day or so for a basic W10 in my old case, with a new power unit :worried:

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Hello Mike, greetings from flood-bound Forest Hill (the QLD one)
Recently I had to replace the old Superbeast, which was the original W7 flying machine. My first port of call was here:

https://www.australiancomputertraders.com.au/

I am sure there will be something similar in darkest Ballarat, or even Melbourne.
I picked up a beefy Dell Precision 5810 server machine, sadly W7 no longer available so it had to be W10. Cost about 20% of the original. Not my first purchase from them, and won't be my last. Worked straight out of the box. Plenty room in the case for the HDDs from the old Superbeast, too, so I will be putting them in. I should be able to dual-boot it with W7 as well, but what I really want is a Linux machine, for my AFS2. Won't be long.
ATB
Mike

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Mike,
How badly are you affected by those floods?
Thanks for the link to the refurbished outlet, they appear to have some interesting stuff at good prices ;)

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Airspeed wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 11:58
Hi Mike, How badly are you affected by those floods?
Fortunately no major damage here, we just got the fringe of the rain event. On the Friday afternoon we had 266mm of rain, but the trough stalled between Ipswich and the coast, and many parts of Brisbane got 900mm - an almost incredible amount. Many roads still closed, but supplies are getting through again, thanks to the truckies, many of whom had been quarantined for no good reason. No thanks at all to the panic buyers who cleaned out the already-depleted stocks, at the first hint of rain.
ATB
Mike

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Keep well and safe Mike :thumbsup: