In before the balloon goes up.

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

In before the balloon goes up.

Post by Paul K »

After years of twisting my joystick, I had the sudden urge to buy some rudder pedals this evening, and settled for these:

https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/v ... s-mk-iv-2/

I've never had anything from VKB, or seen their stuff at Cosford, but they seem to get a consistently high rating. Never had rudder pedals before either; I tried a friend's Thrustmaster set, but didn't like them. With these VKB ones, I like the way you press down on them, rather than slide them to and fro, as with the TM set. Add to that the compact size, the heavy duty steel construction and the reported precision, I couldn't resist. Had to hurry though, before other Russian items of heavy-duty steel construction make a dash for the Channel, and exports dry up. 8)

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: In before the balloon goes up.

Post by Filonian »

Looks a sturdy piece of kit Paul

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Paul K wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 22:35
After years of twisting my joystick, I had the sudden urge to buy some rudder pedals this evening, and settled for these:

https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/v ... s-mk-iv-2/
Let us know how you go, Paul.
I'm happy with my sliding pedals.
Do you have toe brakes incorporated? I didn't see a mention in the blurb.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Filonian wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 08:29
Looks a sturdy piece of kit Paul
It certainly does, Graham, and that's one of the factors that decided me. Spare parts are easily obtainable from VKB, but I could probably get it repaired at the local garage.

Airspeed wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 10:47
Do you have toe brakes incorporated? I didn't see a mention in the blurb.
No toe brakes, Mike, but VKB has something called 'virtual toe brake' software which presumably changes the rudder function to toe brakes when a key is toggled. I've never owned rudder pedals before, and never having had problems with ground steering, I was curious about the advantages of toe brakes. Going round the various forums and reviewers, it seems about 50/50; some say they are essential, others say not. I watched one Youtube of a DCS Tomcat being steered very precisely on the ground with the VKB unit, while on Reddit some say toe brakes are needed for tail-dragging warbirds. The latter is news to me - I've never had any issues steering Spitfires, P-51s and the like in all the WW2 sims over the years.

I think I'd like toe brakes if they were fitted, but their absence doesn't outweigh the advantages of the VKB - the small size, the robust construction and the step action ( rather than slide action ). I'm looking forward to trying them out and will report back. They're coming from the Netherlands, and should be here next week. :)

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I have the VKB-SIM GLADIATOR MK.II JOYSTICK - and it seems it is now discontinued. Nice stick but I am wondering if the Modern Throttle Quad is compatible with it. The website is less than informative on that question and the forum is impossible to search. :OT:
Alex

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Alex, you could try the hardware / controllers forum at Avsim. I'm sure there'll be someone there who can assist. :)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

My lovely pedals arrived today. If you disregard the weekend, that's delivery in under 4 working days from the Netherlands - not bad at all. Assembly was done in minutes ( only two nuts to tighten ), plugged in and detected straight away by MSFS2020. The only fly in the ointment was I had to pay UPS another forty quid for import duty from the EU.

Anyway, they are extremely precise, solidly built and with no tendency to slip. I can now do co-ordinated turns properly! Next, we shall see if the Huey in DCS is any easier to fly. ;)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Looks like an impressive bit of kit Paul :cheers:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Very nice, Paul. :thumbsup: I'm sure you'll have tons of fun with them. :)

Brian

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Yep, they look solid :agree: Have fun!