Documentary: Downfall - The Case Against Boeing

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Documentary: Downfall - The Case Against Boeing

Post by chrispbits »

A documentary on Netflix, which may be of interest. It's essentially about the 737 Max crashes, examining the root causes, the alleged attempted cover up and things that came to light during the investigation by Congress. It's powerful stuff. I'll leave you guys to make your own minds up but corporate greed figures highly and there are two, in my view at least, pieces of information that provide a compelling argument against the financial settlement absolving Boeing of criminal charges. The first is of a Hazid (hazard identification exercise) that was completed and a description of how the system worked and its on/off cycle. Essentially unless the pilots were on top of their game, expecting the failure and reacted with the appropriate corrective action within 10 seconds then the incident would unavoidably develop into a catastrophic event. In short, neither flight crew had a cat in hell's chance of saving either aircraft (taking into account crew workload, reaction time, recognition of problem and appreciation then application of corrective action in 10 seconds or less).

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Documentary: Downfall - The Case Against Boeing

Post by Dev One »

....and wasn't the switch that was supposed to cure the problem an optional fit?
Keith

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks Chris. I haven't got Netflix, but it's the sort of thing which might come up on BBC iPlayer, so I shall look out for it.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Dev One wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 23:09
....and wasn't the switch that was supposed to cure the problem an optional fit?
Keith
Not exactly. The warning that there was a discrepancy between the two AoA sensors was an optional extra, and one of them fed the MCAS system via the flight computers. However as no one outside Boeing had been told what MCAS was or did, knowing an AoA sensors was faulty wouldn't have helped trouble shoot the problem.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

See my HU four days ago on this forum regarding this prog on PBS America channel. Well worth watching if you can catch it.EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!