Ukraine

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Ukraine

Post by cstorey »

Interesting to note that while various MPs are pontificating on how we should be doing more to support Ukraine, the RAF and the USAF are actually getting on with it, as no doubt Bojo knew but had the good sense to keep his mouth shut . FR24 reveals that the RAF had an electronic surveillance 4 engined Boeing stooging up and down the eastern part of Ukraine and no doubt looking a long way into Russia - I didn't know we had these 707 based aircraft any more but I suppose they have replaced the Nimrods. The USAF had a similar aeroplane looking into Russia not only from Poland, but later going south and stooging around a different area. Most interesting is that for much of the day one of those Northrop unmanned spy aircraft ( with a 32 hour endurance ) has been all over the place in Ukraine at 52,000 feet

I can only assume that the purpose of showing these is to let the psychopath ( who begins to make Hitler seem almost rational ) know that beady eyes are watching his every move . What is also interesting is that FR24 does NOT show where these flights originated from - the two Boeings seem to have come from Dogger Bank area!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Ukraine

Post by Nigel H-J »

What is also interesting is that FR24 does NOT show where these flights originated from - the two Boeings seem to have come from Dogger Bank area!
They are possibly the RC-135 Rivet Joint Aircraft based very close to where I am.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/airseek ... vet-joint/

Rergards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

Nigel H-J wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 18:48
What is also interesting is that FR24 does NOT show where these flights originated from - the two Boeings seem to have come from Dogger Bank area!
They are possibly the RC-135 Rivet Joint Aircraft based very close to where I am.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/airseek ... vet-joint/

Rergards
Nigel.
It will be Nigel, been watching them all week. ZZ665 is currently over the Netherlands on its way back to Waddington and 62-4134 of the USAF is approaching Germany on its way back to Mildenhall.

There's been a couple of Voyagers going back and forth to Estonia too. Not sure if they've been ferrying troops or tanking Typhoons.

Also saw one of the E-3D's head out over the North Sea earlier today. I wonder if one or two of them have been brought out of mothballs because of what's happening? I know a couple were being sold to Chile but last time I landed at Waddington for fuel the rest of the fleet didn't look very well...

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

The unfortunate reality for the Ukrainians is that nobody really cares. Politicians globally, for all their "we stand with Ukraine" actually don't care. They want the money / energy that Russia brings and none of them are in any position to directly assist Ukraine as no one has any money after COVID or any desire for a fight. They'll monitor and report, but that's about it. Putin will invade, there will be much talk of sanctions (which are completely ineffective as Russia has amassed the 3rd largest reserves of any country on the planet) and most of the "Russian Money" is actually fed in through front companies that aren't Russian at all. Ukraine is screwed - God help them. China suspects that there will be little or no meaningful action, and so later this year will go to Taiwan. We (the "West") are hooked on cheap... and 90% of our cheap (and very expensive) comes from China. Even our Covid tests are made in China. So the west has no choice but to let China get on with it. Our desire for cheap and "good shareholder value" means that almost everything we touch is made in or has a component made in China. And are we all willing to live without everything from cheap Halloween chocolates to iPhones? I expect not. So unfortunately our society has sold its sole and the Chinese and Russians know it. We've made our bed and now we're all lying in it, as uncomfortable as it is.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Well said Ben, I totally agree. We in the West have become complacent over the last 30 years, thinking Russia a spent force, and to an extent took advantage of that. Meanwhile Europe's oil reserves are depleted we pump billions into Russia for their energy. Any sanctions will just push prices higher and make the oil and gas more valuable for them. As for China they've cornered the market for virtually everything on the planet. God help us when they do join forces.
Dale
Image Image Image

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

How very depressing this all is. Maybe the only answer is to expand our nuclear weapons, draw a line in the sand and say this far and no further or else. After all, a destroyed world is no use to anyone. There will be no victors.M.A.D all over again. :dunno:
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

I say we make XH558 flyable again, load her with conventional weapons, bomb the runway at Kyiv, and put the fear of God into Putin. :agree: ;)

Brian

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Don’t want to do that Brian, Kyiv are the good guys 😁
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

I'm absolutely appalled that an independent sovereign state has had it's territory invaded, having done nothing to deserve it.
I've been keeping a watch on Ukraine airspace via FR24 over the last week or so and here are a couple of examples of wht I've seen -

I have no idea what else has been gathering information that will not show up on FR24, other than satellites.

Unfortunately, I don't think sanctions will bother Putin at all. The only thing he'll understand, is a bloody nose! Just like a school bully, as long as he's the biggest he's happy. As soon as someone bigger comes along, he's a coward.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

TSR2 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 23:53
Don’t want to do that Brian, Kyiv are the good guys 😁
Which is the last place Putin would expect us to strike. :lol: ;)

Brian