Ukraine

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Ukraine

Post by Paul K »

Kevin Farnell wrote:
08 Mar 2022, 12:39
FR24 is showing an RAF E3 Sentry airborne and flying circles over East Anglia. I thought they had been retired. Maybe it's been brought out of storage as the E7 Wedgetails aren't ready yet.
That's what I thought, too. This video is from August last year, and they were pretty clear that the RAF Sentry was finished:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m65Cf74ffL0

This report states that at least one of them was being sold to Chile, so they've been kept in operational condition in order to sell. If so, then it wouldn't have taken much to get them active again, especially during the prolonged build-up to Putin's invasion.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british ... -to-chile/

Or...could the one you saw on FR24 be a NATO one under RAF control or command, and so designated RAF ?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Two of them have been up and over Ukraine in recent weeks. I wonder were they got the aircrew from?

RAF ZH101 and ZH106 have both flown patrols over Poland / Eastern Europe during Russia's incursions into Ukraine during late February / March 2022.

The Sentinals are completely gone I believe though, sold to a US firm.

There's a lesson in there... don't get rid of a capability unless a. you know you no longer need it, or b. you have something to replace it with. 8)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Airspeed wrote:
08 Mar 2022, 08:55
My doctor alerted me to this yesterday, surprised that I hadn't told him.
In short, the World's largest aircraft destroyed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Antonov_Airport
I'm surprised they didn't fly the thing out of Ukraine before the incursion. After all the media were banging on about an impending invasion for many weeks before it happened. So were informed military high ups. It was hardly a surprise. :dunno: :doh:
Alex

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

TSR2 wrote:
08 Mar 2022, 16:16
There's a lesson in there... don't get rid of a capability unless a. you know you no longer need it, or b. you have something to replace it with.
My thoughts exactly!

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

According to Aviation News Chile has bought 3 E3s and the crews are now in the UK undergoing training. Chile is going to use 2 of the aircraft whilst using the third as a spares source.

Since Chile is about to retire their existing Boeing 707 Condor AEW it makes sense.

This story was also reported in Air Force News.

Whether the Chileans are going anywhere near harms way is another story entirely.

Allan

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

This might be of interest. I've heard mention of this letter leaked from the FSB (the Russian equivalent of the CIA) to a source who has been reliable in the past.

https://pastebin.com/2agMRGmd

No guarantee of authenticity, of course, but it has been mentioned in a number of media sites (including the Times).

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

At least many corporations are doing their part to increase pressure on the Russians. McDonald's has established a No Fry Zone over Russia!
:hide:

Nigel²

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I notice MuckDonalds only pulled out after being shamed into it - gawd, I utterly loathe that company.

I was watching something earlier which mentioned that Russia is now trying to sell crude oil with a discount of $30 a barrel, but having very little luck. Even though their oil can still be bought legally, companies are now wary of being associated with Russia, fearing for their reputations. I'm very happy to see Shell is rapidly disengaging from joint ventures with Russian oil companies.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

nigelb wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 22:11
At least many corporations are doing their part to increase pressure on the Russians. McDonald's has established a No Fry Zone over Russia!
:hide:

Nigel²

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

There are not many laughs in this sorry situation, but right at the moment there are two Beech electronic surveillance aircraft stooging up and down central Lithuania whose call signs are .... wait for it ............YANK01 and YANK02. Who said the Americans don't have a sense of humour ? :lol: