Download Speed

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Download Speed

Post by Nigel H-J »

I started downloading MS2020 yesterday at around 13.00hrs after purchasing an Ethernet Cable as I had been using Wifi before and that was slow however, even though the speed has increased it is only up to around 7-9Mbps/s and after 22.5hrs I still have 64.89Gb to install and this is just 1/5 installation so not sure what the other four are going to be!! :dunno:

At this rate the current download will finish at around 22.00hrs tonight, then I am going to have to switch the computer off if there is another large download pending.

I went to my internet provider and had a look to see what I should be getting in way of download speeds. Ran a test which showed my download speed at 38Mbits/s. I went into Settings on my computer then to Advance Settings/Delivery Optimisation/Download Settings but everytime I alter the settings to increase to 100% it all defaults back down to 45%.

Or is this slowness due to MS2020 itself in that many users are downloading and slowing down the progress?

Any advise appreciated.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Download Speed

Post by Vc Ten »

Just after an update the download speeds can be slower but generally I get close to my BT speed (70mb sec) I was hitting that, downloading the last update, earlier this week. Try doing a speed test (check my Internet speed)
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dale, I had already done a download speed check and then another a bit later on still showing mine to be at 38Mbits/s.

Presently I have downloaded 22.98Gb in 8 hours out of a total of 64.89Gb so I have by my reckoning at the present speed another 34 hours to go, in all it will have taken me 3 days to download the first part. On the Download Manager it shows 1/5 I'm dreading to think of what the other four are!! :doh: :lol: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi Nigel :hello: At the moment mine is showing 120 gb for sim and all the official updates as shown in the content manager (world updates and things bought through the marketplace). I have bought very little through the marketplace, couple of airports and that's about it. The rest of my addons, bought and freeware are in the community folder, currently 27 gb
Not sure what the base sim is currently occupying, but I guess it's around 100 gb
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dale, :hello: Left the computer on last night and on checking this morning found that it had for some reason stopped downloading, my computer must disconnected for a while as the updating did not continue. :doh:

I now have 34.62GB to download but still it was slow, went into settings and Delivery Optimisations/Download Settings and checked the circle for Absolute Bandwidth which seems to have done something or my mind is imagining it but download speed has increased to 13 - 14 Mbits/s.

OK, so it still has not reached the target of 38Mbits/s however due to coming through the telephone wires as apposed to Fibre Optics then there is bound to be a bit of a bottle neck.

Apart from the speeds I cannot wait until I am able to actually fly, from the screen shots from Paul I think Duxford will be my first add-on :thumbsup:

Give me a couple of days then will report back.

Regards
Nigel.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Who is your ISP Nigel?

My Dad had issues like this. He was with PlusNet on the 35Mb package. It turns out his exchange was on the rollout for being de-coppered. They had replaced the equipment in the exchange and anyone who was still on copper was getting terrible performance. When I was over in August, it was practically unusable. I phoned plusnet (who are just another arm of BT) and they explained that he would have to move to BT as only they could provide the fibre service. I said that’s all well and good, but why has he been paying for a service for 8 months that he hasn’t been getting?
Anyway, he’s moved to BT who in true form buggered the order up twice, but got there in the end. Could it be your exchange has been moved to the new equipment I wonder?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Ben :hello: I am with SSE but my connection comes down the wire (telephone). can't be sure what type of equipment is being used, I again tested my download speeds and sure enough came back as 38Mbits/s so a bit confused.

Thought I had succeeded in increasing the download speed but that has now turned out to be a red herring, it went down again to 0.01 then stopped so had to re-boot computer, just having a bit of a rest from it as still around 24Gb to download.

Maybe you can answer this for me, just started the download again and wondering what 1/34 is next to the download speed, is this 1 of 34 updates?

Please click on the picture to see whole of download speed and Gb to go.

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

1/34 is the first of the thirty four parts that make up the current download, Nigel. You've probably found that out by now. Sorry to hear of your download speed problem. Was it this bad when you downloaded X-Plane 11 ?

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, if this is the first of 34 parts how large are the files going to be? When I downloaded X-Plane 11 it was just Europe that included Britain, I did not download any other countries but it still took a full night.

I am now on my 4th day so basically I am now wondering how much longer it will all take, had 5 internet disconnections so far due to the rain today! :doh:

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Ah yes, I remember now - you can choose which parts of the world you want to download with X-Plane. Re. the 34 parts - the impression I get is that they aren't all the same size. Some seem to download much more quickly, and you're then on to the next one, which might take longer.