Return of the Mac.

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Silversim
Viscount
Viscount

Re: Return of the Mac.

Post by Silversim »

Paul K wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 14:42
Silversim wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 10:19
I've been really enjoying your "trip" Paul...my how Singapore has changed! I was there in 1990 on a three centre holiday, Singers/Penang/HK....looking forward to a "Singapore Sling" at Raffles.....guess what, it was closed and boarded up for refurbishment :(....still had a fab holiday tho' B-)

Gina
Shame you couldn't enter Raffles, though you didn't miss much with the Singapore Sling. So many people asked for it that they had a big jug full pre-mixed behind the bar. :lol:
.....saved from a fate worse than death :lol:.....Tiger was consumed in vast quantities instead ;)
It's so nice to be insane, nobody asks you to explain.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Leg 16; Singapore to Batavia.

A long run today, five and a half hours worth, which includes an unscheduled diversion for sightseeing. Having taken off from RW 20 at Paya Lebar, I turn north for another look at the old RN dockyard at Sembawang, just to check on something:

Sure enough, with Henrik Neilsen's GAIST mod functioning, the yard now has plenty of ships alongside, including a cruise ship in what was the largest drydock in the world when it was built:

Farewell for now, Singapore. I shall be simming around here a lot, and may well be back for real before the year is out:

83 nautical miles south south-east of Singapore comes a significant moment - I cross the Equator above the northern tip of Pulau Lingga:

The little Garmin GPS confirms my 'crossing the line' - latitude South 00.0'. I knew it would come in handy at some point. :lol:

Crossing Sumatra's coast at the Sembilang National Park, which is a protected habitat for such species as the Sumatran tiger, Irrawaddy dolphin and Sunda clouded leopard amongst many others:

Over Palembang, where Japanese paratroopers staged a large airborne operation in February 1942 to capture the oil fields and refinery intact:

Flying down to the NDB (AK) at Guning Batin (WAMQ), I decided to continue south instead of turning east to Java as originally planned. There ahead is what I have come to see - Krakatoa, which is west of Java, not east of it, you Hollywood eejits 8)

Two views of the central core, Anak Krakatau, with islands of the shattered caldera behind:

From Krakatoa, I make my way to Java, and am now on finals into Halim airport at Jakarta (formerly Batavia). The airport was originally named Tjililitan Airfield (Vliegveld Tjililitan in Dutch), and it was the HQ of their colonial-era airline KNILM. Of the airports at Batavia, this was the one most likely used by the MacRobertson contestants ( unless somebody knows different ? ).

:)

Parked up at Tjililitan ( Halim).

:)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Your getting way more ships than me Paul, I’ll need to take another look tomorrow.

Just spotted this, which could be of interest later in the year….

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tp ... ent/524101
:thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

So King Neptune and his wife, Queen Nefertiti weren't waiting for you when you arrived at Batavia? ;)

Brian

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Some more great shots there Paul. :thumbsup: I love the titbits of information as we follow the journey.
Dale
Image Image Image

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

TSR2 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 01:16
Your getting way more ships than me Paul, I’ll need to take another look tomorrow.

Just spotted this, which could be of interest later in the year….

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tp ... ent/524101
:thumbsup:
Hi Ben - if you look off into the distance in the first picture, you can see a load of ships at anchor. They are part of the Orbx Singapore scenery, rather than GAIST, and are always there. I enabled GAIST, and it added about 20 ships around Singapore, including the ones you see in the RN dockyard pictured - but that's it. Once I was further south, the seas emptied. I've mentioned it on Avsim, and Henrik said something about the BGLs not always loading. Anyway, he is working on developing the mod so it follows real-time traffic - maybe that'll fix the problem. As for that DH-88 - I can see a load of people flying this route if he releases it. Very nice work, given his time constraints.

FlyTexas wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 01:21
So King Neptune and his wife, Queen Nefertiti weren't waiting for you when you arrived at Batavia? ;)
Nefertiti is Neptune's missus ?? Well I nefer knew that. Anyway, I got the certificate back in 1968, signed by himself, so I breezed through passport control. :lol:

Vc Ten wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 10:30
Some more great shots there Paul. :thumbsup: I love the titbits of information as we follow the journey.
Thanks Dale. So many places along, or close to, this route get a mention in the history books, so it's worth commenting on them as I fly over. Once again, the beauty of MSFS! :)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Leg 17; Batavia to Rambang.

Take off from Halim, formerly Tjililitan Airfield (Vliegveld Tjililitan), at Batavia. An early morning start, and a long run of 611nm by LNM's reckoning. One major problem is that at the other end, Rambang airfield no longer exists. I have a plan, however:

Krakatoa aside, I never realized how volcanic this region is. In fact, flying down the length of Java, it's obvious that the string of volcanoes gave birth to the island. This is Mount Ciremai National Park in west Java:

One volcano after another. These two, in central Java, are Mt. Sumbing on the left and Mt. Sundoro on the right. I thought the ground textures looked a bit suspect, but checking on Google earth, the lower slopes of both peaks are indeed heavily cultivated:

Over the crater of Mt. Bromo, in the east of Java, and almost at the end of the island. Two more volcanoes can be seen in the distance - they're all over the place!

Leaving the eastern tip of Java, and Bali ahead:

After leaving Bali behind, I started getting very severe stutters, so I decided to put down at Selaparang (WADA) on Lombok's west coast and reboot the computer. This is the first time I've had to add an unscheduled stop to G-ACSR's MacRobertson route.

After rebooting, I took off and continued east across Lombok, hoping the stutters wouldn't return. In the distance is the Mount Rinjani National Park (yes, another volcano):

Having reached the east coast of Lombok, I turned north and kept a sharp look out. After a few moments, I spotted it - the site of the old Dutch colonial-era airfield at Rambang:

I hadn't come all this way to miss out one of the MacRobertson check points, so I made a slow approach, with full flaps out early:

Other than the bare earth, no evidence of the grass airfield remains. This is the only definite photo of Rambang that I have found, and show's KLM's DC-2 PH-AJU 'Uiver' (Stork) on its way back home to the Netherlands after coming second (but winner on handicap) in the MacRobertson race. I parked the Arrow in what might be the same area of the airfield:

After a wander round the deserted airfield, I headed off for Lombok airport 16 nm away:

On finals for Lombok runway 31:

Parked at Lombok airport, and off into town to cry into my beer over lost empires :( ;)

:cheers:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Thats a great find Paul. :welldone:

I don't think Echo would appreciate landing on the mud, so I think I'll give it a low pass and a "Wing Wink" and head on to Lombok.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Yes, a bit too small and bumpy for a Hunter. :)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Just found this picture of Rambang airfield's refuelling facilities.