Karma? Bah!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Karma? Bah!

Post by Airspeed »

Yesterday in the big smoke, an old man was trying to pay for his grocery purchases with gift cards.
The operator told him that there was no money left on either that he brought in.
He started to walk off, and I asked whether he got what he wanted, but he hadn't.
It transpired that his total shop was $4.
I said I would pay it for him, and he was protesting that he wouldn't be able to contact me to pay it back.
Short story was, I paid and he went off with his tiny bag of stuff.
ONE GOOD DEED......
Then on the way home, passed the petrol station where I'd filled up at $1.95/litre, to see that they'd dropped it to $1.87 while I was gone.
Got home, and opened a letter from the electricity retailer, telling me that I had missed paying last month's bill on time, so cough up $148, not the original $135. Then this morning the coffee grinder packed up.
Just wait till I see that old man next time! :rant: :lol:

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Karma? Bah!

Post by 511Flyer »

Coffee grinder?

:S

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

511Flyer wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 09:01
Coffee grinder?

:S
How else would I grind my beans Den, perhaps a camel tethered to a rotating stone wheel?
Or are you doubting that I drink coffee?
btw, it's electric, but I spent a few hours disassembling, cleaning, checking and reassembling it, so I'm right for coffee again tomorrow.

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

We buy ours ready ground. Just pop it in the percolator. Or maybe just use instant?

:)

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Instant??? As a coffeeholic I am offended at the thought of instant. And pre ground beans???? Are you insane, who knows how long they have been festering on the supermarket shelf losing flavor??? :wall:
Alex

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Insane? Moi? How long have the beans been on the shelf losing flavour? How about tea? Loose leaf or bags?

*-)

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Agree Mike.
Not long ago I reminded a woman not to forget her shopping bag was on the car roof whilst she strapped her youngster.
Setting off for a meeting the same night, I put my spec case on the car roof whilst I loaded my briefcase etc. Drove off and my specs flew off onto the road as I cornered and a car going the other way ran over them.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Vancouver wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 15:39
Instant??? As a coffeeholic I am offended at the thought of instant. And pre ground beans???? Are you insane, who knows how long they have been festering on the supermarket shelf losing flavor??? :wall:
You could extend this to all sorts of ground or shredded items e.g. spices. If something is kept whole, it will keep it's flavour longer (only grind it when needed). The more finely something is ground, then the greater it's surface area and thus the greater area for the flavour/volatiles to evaporate from.
However, if the ground items (e.g. coffee, spices etc) are in sealed packs (as they are in the UK), then very little flavour will be lost until the pack is opened. This is due to the small amount of air in the sealed pack, which quickly becomes saturated (i.e.it can't absorb any more flavour/volatiles).
As for coffee, I enjoy it now and again, but it's probably been well over 6 months since I had a cup. Tea on the other hand, well - I've probably downed gallons in that time.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Continuing the saga...
The coffee grinder was making horrible sounds, so I pulled it apart again, this time dismantling the gearbox as well.
Built-in parts failure discovered. Replacement nylon gear available for AU$99. :-O
That's not going to happen, But I will try making a mould of the good side, and cast a new bit.
Grinder gear.jpg
Grinder gear.jpg (69.34 KiB) Viewed 433 times

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

3D printer job?
Keith