WHY?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

WHY?

Post by Kevin Farnell »

I can't believe that I'm reading about another mass shooting in the US. Why do so many in the US hold the 'Right to Bear Arms' above the lives of innocent civilians? They support a ruling that allows lunatics access to lethal weapons. It seems like every few weeks there is another incident and today, there are another 10 people dead. People who are Mothers, Fathers, Sisters, Brothers or simply friends.

It sickens me!!!!!!!

:( :( :( :( :(

(Sorry, but I had to get that off my chest).

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: WHY?

Post by Airspeed »

I agree, Kevin.
I would also add that I wonder where that degree of hatred comes from, where the gun holder feels that some select others do not deserve to share this planet.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

As someone once said, the right to bear arms is only slightly less ridiculous than the right to arm bears.

Unfortunately the National Rifle Association in the USA is so strong no politician will dare to oppose them.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Not wanting to belittle the absolute abhorrent nature of this and previous atrocities, but some time back, I commented to a friend that the Second Amendment contained a spelling mistake. It should read ' The Right to Bare Arms'. I.e. you have the right to roll your sleeves up, if you are too warm.

Kevin

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Sickening and shocking but given the insane gun culture in the U.S., all too frequent. The second amendment was ratified in 1789 and states "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." That should be interpreted as only members of a well regulated militia have the right to bear arms, and considering the date of passage, those arms should be single shot muskets. No matter what, the right to life has to supersede any right to bear arms.

Nigel²

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Another atrocity today! This time, 14 young school children and their Teacher. :( :( :( :( :(

If this doesn't get people questioning the gun laws in the US, will anything? There was a mass shooting at a school in the UK (the Dunblane massacre, 1996), after which much stricter gun laws were introduced and the UK now has one of the lowest levels of gun crime in the world.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180977221/

Kevin

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Oh dear god, I didn't know about this till reading the thread just now Kevin. THis is awful. To all our American mates here, an arm round the shoulder from the UK. Dreadful dreadful news

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Yet again! Another senseless tragedy in the US. The NRA preaches that more guns make us safer. If that were true, we should be the safest country in the world because we have the most guns. Obviously, that is far from the case. The republican politicians in Texas, including the governor, just passed open carry laws. That means anyone can carry a gun in the open. Will anything be done by them or by Congress in Washington? I doubt it; they will offer "thoughts and prayers" and sit on their rear ends and do nothing but rake in more campaign donations from the NRA.

If it were up to me I would repeal the second amendment - as I have said, the right to life must supersede any laws passed in the18th century about forming militias and bearing arms. I think we should model our gun laws after the UK. It should be far more difficult to obtain a gun than it is to obtain a driver's license. I realize the insane gun culture has a tragic grip on this country. Columbine, Sandy Hook , Parklawn, El Paso, Charleston, Buffalo and on and on ad nauseam proves my point. OK, maybe we can't eliminate guns. How about restricting the sale of ammunition?

Maybe one day the US will really become that beacon of democracy they like to claim they are. They need to become a civilized country first!

Nigel²

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Wise words, Nigel.

There is absolutely no need for the general public to carry guns. I saw a while back, after a shooting at another school, the idea put forward that Teachers should be armed. That is not the answer. Dis-arming the public is the answer.
My thoughts and prayers are with the devastated families and friends of those who died or are affected by this abhorrent event. But it goes much further than that. The shattered community, the fear and lack of trust for the future. What of the little children who witnessed their friends dying? What mental suffering are they going to experience in the future?
I wonder how many guns have been sold in the hours after this awful event? More guns do not make it safer. More guns just generate more profits for the manufacturers and the NRA.

I could go on, but I'll stop there.

Kevin

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Sadly, the death toll has now risen to 21. 19 primary school children and 2 adults. Why, oh why, oh why?

Kevin