VR headset recommendations, please

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: VR headset recommendations, please

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, there are spacers available for individual VR Headsets however I have heard of some users who have specs and they have made slight scratches on the surface of lenses even when using spacers.

There are two alternatives for you to consider firstly contact lenses, they do not interfere with the VR lens but if that is not to your liking then have a read of this, it is basically for the Oculus VR but will give you an idea as your optician could order inserts that go over your lenses so that you do not need to wear glasses but could cost around £70 ish. This is the way I will go in the future.

https://www.visiondirect.co.uk/blog/alt ... %20problem.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

That's interesting Nigel, thanks very much. My concern is more about focal distance rather than the physical fitting of specs inside the VR headset. With my current reading glasses, I can focus on text from about 8 inches away - any closer and I can no longer focus on it. How then do I focus on two LED displays which are only an inch or two from my eyes ?

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, as far as I know that if you used inserts that an optician made for your headset then it would be just like using glasses, at present even though I need glasses for reading and using the computer I do not wear them for VR, I have been able to adapt without the use of glasses or inserts but there will come a time when I do need to.

Also on VR sets you can adjust them for your IPD (Interpupillary distance) which helps on focusing your VR to match your IPD.

Have a read of these 2 links, hope it gives you a clearer idea.

https://www.roadtovr.com/how-to-measure ... your%20IPD.

https://www.vive.com/uk/support/vive-pr ... adset.html

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Paul. The lenses Infront of the headset display is set to focus around 1.5 m, depends on the make but most seem to be about that. They call it the accommodation distance. So if you don't need glasses to focus at that distance you will be OK Just set the pid which is adjustable on the headset to suit, as Nigel says.
Dale
Image Image Image

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Blimey, Nigel - you are a veritable resource library. You've obviously 'been there, done that'. IPD is something I understand, as I've ordered reading glasses via mail order recently. I wasn't aware that it's a consideration in VR headsets however, so that's great info - thank you. Something else you said, however, answers my concern about focal length:
Nigel H-J wrote:
31 May 2022, 18:58
...at present even though I need glasses for reading and using the computer I do not wear them for VR, I have been able to adapt without the use of glasses...
That's the situation I am in - glasses for reading and computer - but you say you don't need them for VR ( yet ). That led me to look up further, and I found this: https://smartglasseshub.com/vr-with-glasses/

It says:

"The truth is that when wearing a VR headset, you are not looking at a screen two inches from your eyes. The lenses before your eyes bend the light from the display(s) in a way that the actual image you see has a focal distance of about 6.5 ft or 2 m in most modern VR headsets.

So, in theory, if you can see objects at this distance well, you can also use VR without glasses and will not suffer from eye strain or loss of image quality."

I think that seals it. :)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Vc Ten wrote:
31 May 2022, 19:43
Paul. The lenses Infront of the headset display is set to focus around 1.5 m, depends on the make but most seem to be about that. They call it the accommodation distance. So if you don't need glasses to focus at that distance you will be OK Just set the pid which is adjustable on the headset to suit, as Nigel says.
Dale
Dale, my response to Nigel crossed the path of your post. Thanks very much, and for educating me on the correct term - accomodation distance. Now I know what it is I'm talking about - thanks again.
:cheers:

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Paul K wrote:
31 May 2022, 16:22
Here's another question - what about spectacles ? Since the cataract operations, I have normal distance vision, but need specs for the computer and for reading. When wearing those spectacles, anything closer than about 8 inches from my eyes goes out of focus. If the VR headset displays are just an inch or two from my eyes, how do I get a focused image ? Or have I got it all wrong about how they work ? *-)
One orders prescription lens inserts. I don't need any myself (yet!), but others rave about them.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

:thumbsup:
Dale
Image Image Image

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

TSR2 wrote:
31 May 2022, 16:47
I've heard people talk about spacers for specs Paul. Even though the image is physically in front of your eye, it tricks your eyes to some extent.
Airtrooper wrote:
31 May 2022, 20:15
One orders prescription lens inserts. I don't need any myself (yet!), but others rave about them.
Thanks guys - I've found a company called VR Optician. Looking at that site, it seems I might not need anything, as my distance vision is fine. :)

The HP G2 v2 is still in front, though I'm in no hurry.