VR headset recommendations, please

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

VR headset recommendations, please

Post by Paul K »

Hi chaps, I'm gathering info about VR headsets, and thought I would ask here. If you've got one and like it, got one and wish you'd bought a different one, considering buying one...any thoughts will be welcome.

I'm only planning on using it for sit-at-the-computer type games, so I won't be standing in the middle of the room playing virtual tennis or anything like that. It's purely for flight simming, motor sport ( Project Cars for instance ), Cyberpunk 2077 - that sort of thing.

Budget isn't a consideration really - performance is the main criterion, and I'm prepared to pay for it within reason.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Re: VR headset recommendations, please

Post by spatialpro »

I have a Reverb G2 and love it. It has its faults (well documented elsewhere), but for the money nothing comes close.

However, if you have significantly more expendable income the Varo Aero seems to be the way to go... although even that doesn't come with the fab speakers/headphones of the G2.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Airtrooper wrote:
30 May 2022, 15:15
I have a Reverb G2 and love it. It has its faults (well documented elsewhere), but for the money nothing comes close.

However, if you have significantly more expendable income the Varo Aero seems to be the way to go... although even that doesn't come with the fab speakers/headphones of the G2.
I don't think I can stretch to the Varo Aero, but the G2 is definitely on my list. :)

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

FWIW I don't fly in anything other than VR now... there is no going back!

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Paul,

Not very scientific, but a couple of months back I was able to try HP G2, Occulus (now Meta) Quest 2 and the HTC Vive Pro 2.

I didn’t have to do any setup and they were all connected to the same PC (obviously the Oculus isn’t connected)

I was impressed with the G2 (which I think was the v2 version?).

I didn’t really enjoy the experience on any of them and felt exhausted after 15 minutes.

The wires free of the Oculus was impressive, but didn’t come near the quality of the two tethered ones (the G2 and the HTC)

The HTC was as good as the G2 I thought, but as I said I was just putting each one on and trying it out. All of the set up had already been done.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks for the info so far, all. :thumbsup:

Someone else on another forum is recommending the Valve Index - any thoughts there ?

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Paul K wrote:
30 May 2022, 18:46
Someone else on another forum is recommending the Valve Index - any thoughts there ?
If we were discussing this prior to Autumn 2020 (when the Reverb G2 was released) the Valve Index would be a serious proposition (though actually more costly new than a Reverb G2). That said, if you're interested in buying second hand a Valve Index could be good, if the price is low enough.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

The HP G2 v2 is now leading the pack.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Here's another question - what about spectacles ? Since the cataract operations, I have normal distance vision, but need specs for the computer and for reading. When wearing those spectacles, anything closer than about 8 inches from my eyes goes out of focus. If the VR headset displays are just an inch or two from my eyes, how do I get a focused image ? Or have I got it all wrong about how they work ? *-)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I've heard people talk about spacers for specs Paul. Even though the image is physically in front of your eye, it tricks your eyes to some extent.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage