Pugsley Dog

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Pugsley Dog

Post by blanston12 »

Hi Friends.

If anybody actually noticed my avatar image of the little pug dog, that is an image of our doggy 'Pugsley'. It has been our joy to have him, we got him when he was a tiny puppy and he is now over twelve years old. The image in the avatar is when he was a year or two old he now looks like this.

We though we were being so original when we named him, but later we discovered every third Pug has some variation of a name containing 'pug' in it. You may notice he now is missing his right eye. He had been blind in it for a number of years after an incident with a bigger dog where his retina got detached and they could not fix it. It was getting infected and we were putting in drops just about every hour to keep it stable, the vet eventually suggested we just have it removed, so we did. He was already blind in it so he would not notice any difference except that he would have to wear the cone of shame for a while.

Also several years ago he started having some seizures and difficulty walking, so our vet suggested we take him to a Neurologist to see what is going on, they did an MRI found a cyst on his spine and they also found a tiny tumor in his brain, they though looked like something that would be very slow growing and probably would not effect him during his life span.

Recently he has developed a severe head tilt, food is falling out the right side of his mouth when he eats and he is having a hard time walking in a straight line. Our vet suggested we take him back to the Neurologist and they did an MRI on him. Turns out that tumor that has gotten bigger, gone from something smaller than a grain of rice to something about the size of a pea, they are still trying to decide if any treatment is practical or worth while. They said he may have six months. While my wife was there, looking at the MRI images she took this picture from the screen which I though was amazing of our one eyed pug.

It will be sad when he goes but he has been an amazing dog for us and we think we have given him a good life so far. Before I would joke about people who would spend thousands on healthcare for there pets and now we are one of those people, I don't wan't to say how much we have spent or will spend on him, but the cost is not going to be the deciding factor if we do it or not.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Pugsley Dog

Post by TSR2 »

Sad news Joe, but it sounds like he's had a good life. I hope he’s not in any discomfort. Here’s to Pugsley :cheers:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

TSR2 wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 19:39
Sad news Joe, but it sounds like he's had a good life. I hope he’s not in any discomfort. Here’s to Pugsley :cheers:
Hi Ben, we don't think he is in much pain, he gets 100mg of Gabapentin four times a day and 2.5mg of Prednisolone every other day, the doctor we just saw said it would be safe to give him seven of the Gabapentin pills if he needs it. So he is not feeling much pain.
Joe Cusick,

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Joe. Non pet lovers have never known the joy that a pet can nor of course the heartbreak when they pass away. However they leave us with treasured memories. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

I've certainly noticed your avatar, Joe, and thought he must be important to you.
Pets really do become part of the family, and our only consolations are that we did our best to help them live happily, and the memories of their involvement in our lives.
Best wishes to your family ;)

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Poor Pugsley. :( At a loss for words right now. Our four-legged friends mean so much to us.

Brian

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Hi All,

thanks for your comments.

We have herd back from the Vets, they had consulted with a 'Radiation Oncologist' and they think that he can be treated. It may not cure him but may keep it from getting worse. If it will give him a few more years we will probably do it, we will have to talk to them to learn more. I think my wife and I are like many couples who never had kids, and put that extra love into our pets.

I did not even know Radiation Oncologists for dogs was a thing, but it is the SF bay area so I should not be too surprised, we may have to put off getting that new patio cover for our back deck for a while.
Joe Cusick,

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Good luck with all that, Joe and family :thumbsup:

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Just an update on this post and our Doggie, and I am sorry to say its not good news.

While 18 months ago the Vet's said he probably had 6 months, he greatly exceeded that. But we could see recently that he had really been declining. Because of his brain tumor/Spinal column cyst his mobility had decreased to the point he could walk only short distances and we had to carry him everywhere, and a bunch of other issues I won't go into. Over the last few weeks he started drinking of water had increased tenfold, we took him to the vet to see what it could be, she mentioned several likely things it could mean, none of them good. We could do tests to see what it was but it was likely to be yet another chronic condition, probably with daily injections on top of all the other medications he was already getting. We felt that his quality of life had declined so much that it was unfair to him to keep putting him through this and agreed with the vet's suggestion that it was time. I never though I would be so attached to a dog, so this was one of the hardest things I have had to do. He was one week short of 13 years, 9 months of age.
Joe Cusick,

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

That is very sad news Joe. I know what it’s like having to make that decision. You know it’s the right thing to do but that doesn’t make it any less painful. Best wishes EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!