Disappointing films

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Disappointing films

Post by Airspeed »

Not long ago, we read a marvellous book, "The Book Thief" . We then saw a trailer for the film version and decided it wasn't worth buying for $6.00.
More recently, We finished "The Hunger Games", which was an excellent fast-paced read of 3 books. Now our daughter has lent us the 4 DVDs. Having watched 2, we're both glad that we read the book first.
I suppose that's always the case, books always beat the films.

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Disappointing films

Post by 511Flyer »

Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Set on the island of Kefalonia, an island we've been visiting for the last 26 years.

A really good book, and a not half bad film. However, the filmmakers changed the story for the worse in my opinion, and lots of it is unrecognisable.

Just my opinion of course.

:rock:

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

A good 'companion read' for 'The Book Thief' is 'All the Light you Cannot See' by Anthony Doerr. No way would I watch either of them as movies or TV series - and the same goes for Captain Corelli...'

Cheers
MikeW

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

I'm not sure there was ever a book (the title of the thread is 'disappointing films'), but one of the films that I absolutely hated was 'Bedknobs and Broomstick's. I got dragged along to it by my parents when I was very young. I just can't stand musicals. What is the point of the cast bursting into song every few minutes? I have never watched it again.
Another, was 'Out of Africa', which my then girlfriend dragged me to when I was in my twenties. Boredom doesn't even begin to describe it. I ended up counting my popcorn (although there was a minute or two showing a Tiger Moth to which I paid attention).

I'm sure I could come up with several more.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

emfrat wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 09:50
A good 'companion read' for 'The Book Thief' is 'All the Light you Cannot See' by Anthony Doerr. No way would I watch either of them as movies or TV series - and the same goes for Captain Corelli...'

Cheers
MikeW
Thanks for the tip, Mike.
I see that Booktopia has it. EDIT OOH, it's at BigW too :)
We also liked Markus Zusak's "Bridge of Clay"; he has an interesting writing style.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

As soon as I see 'Inspired by' or Based on' when a film comes up my heart drops. If they cannot stick to a book or facts do not do it.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I always thought the film 'The Cruel Sea' was better than the book.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Kevin Farnell wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 10:35
Another, was 'Out of Africa', which my then girlfriend dragged me to when I was in my twenties. Boredom doesn't even begin to describe it. I ended up counting my popcorn (although there was a minute or two showing a Tiger Moth to which I paid attention).
Good, so I'm not the only one who found that movie to be incredibly boring. That movie should've been named 'In and Out of Consciousness'. :lol:

Brian

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

simondix wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 11:45
As soon as I see 'Inspired by' or Based on' when a film comes up my heart drops. If they cannot stick to a book or facts do not do it.
Oh yes, same here. 'Inspired by true events' - meaning WW2 actually happened, and they can now concoct any old nonsense, and claim it has some historical veracity. 'Fury' for example - it was a good job I didn't have any heavy objects nearby to hurl at the TV screen.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Paul K wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 11:53
I always thought the film 'The Cruel Sea' was better than the book.
Saw the film with my big brother, I must have been about 7 or 8, but never read the book.

btw 'Inspired by true events' - isn't that what the commercial TV news hours are?