Solstice Sadness

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Solstice Sadness

Post by Tomliner »

I may be a bit odd but does anyone else feel a touch of sadness at the passing of the summer solstice? I know the change is imperceptible for a while but the older I get the more I enjoy the long days and short nights.EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Solstice Sadness

Post by AllanL »

When I worked at a Scottish petrochemical site many moons ago there was one dour engineer whose party trick was to proclaim, "Aye, the nights are fair drawing in." every year a day after the summer solstice.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Yes Eric, I know what you mean. It just feels that everything is just one very slowly moving hamster wheel to me though. And now we’re heading back to the bottom at 3 minutes per day :(
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

No sadness here - it was the Winter Solstice :)
That doesn't mean it'll warm up soon though, so I'm not packing my woollies away for a while.
The ABC celebrated with a special live broadcast from various locations in the Southern Ocean, interspersed with daylight recordings of marine life.

We also did NOT have a train strike like you have in the UK, but the VLine (regional) communications system crashed (hacked??) so no VLine trains could run.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

No sadness here either, because it's now down-hill to autumn. September to Christmas is my favourite time of year. I love that first hint of a chill in the air; the mists in the trees, and hoots of tawny owls in the leafy avenues where I go for my evening walk. At the end of my route, the welcoming lights of the Unthank Arms and a pint of Adnams. You can keep summer. :)

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Post by robcarrich »

I know exactly what you mean Eric.
Having passed my own solstice many, many years ago the warm days of summer are all too soon just a memory.

Rob

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

I used to dread the summer months. As a child I suffered from hay fever, just the smell of cut grass would set me off into sneezing fits and streaming eyes. I out grew it aged 14 but the memory still lingers. I'm with Paul, I love autumnal sights and smells. The leaves turning, log fires, a nip in the air
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I also feel down after the solstice, from lighter evenings less cost with electricity etc. I literally just hate it when it starts getting dark around 4 or 5 in the evenings and it seems to last longer than the summer.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Paul K wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 10:58
No sadness here either, because it's now down-hill to autumn. September to Christmas is my favourite time of year. I love that first hint of a chill in the air; the mists in the trees, and hoots of tawny owls in the leafy avenues where I go for my evening walk. At the end of my route, the welcoming lights of the Unthank Arms and a pint of Adnams. You can keep summer. :)
Paul, that's a smart looking establishment, how is the price of your pint compared to other pubs?
Can you just drop in for a beer, or are you required to eat a meal while you are there?
There's a list of "Guests" which have % near their names; would you explain this please?

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Hi Mike - it's a lovely place. Yes, you can drop in for a pint - it's a pub that also serves food, with a nice dining room further in. I used to live in the street next door ( Onley Street), but am now three streets away, having moved away and then moved back. Still only a five minute walk, however. ;) There's some very nice pubs around here - the York, The Rose, The Pear Tree Inn, the William & Florence, to name just a few.

Prices are comparable in all of them.

Not sure what you mean about the Guests and % ?

:guinn:
Last edited by Paul K on 23 Jun 2022, 14:28, edited 2 times in total.