HOT HOT HOT

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

HOT HOT HOT

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just had a look at the outside temperature, that is at 13.45. The sensor is located on the side of our bungalow on the opposite side of where the sun shines but it still managed to hit 37.9C - 100.02F in the shade

Went out to bring in the washing and our front door again faces away from where the sun orbits and in the shade but even then the hot air really hit my lungs as I stepped outside. Tomorrow is forecast to be around 41C - 105.8F.

I don't ever recall temperatures being this hot where I have lived for the past 38 years.

In 2003 London recorded its' hottest day at 100.2F That record will soon be broken tomorrow I think! *-)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: HOT HOT HOT

Post by Paul K »

It's 88 F here in Norwich, but I'm cool as a cucumber. I kept the windows open overnight, shut them first thing this morning, and the curtains and blinds are closed. It's 95 F in Cambridge - yet another reason I'm glad I no longer live there. Norwich is always a tad cooler anyway, being out on this bulge into the North Sea.

Good advice outside the Pear Tree Inn down the road :lol:

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

I don't understand these 'F' units you quote for temperature. Give me 'C' or even Kelvin 'K', I know where I am with those.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Loved that sign outside the Pear Tree Inn! Seriously, water is really the best thing to drink in the heat. I can't believe it is hotter back in London than it is in Virginia! 90F today (32.2C) although we just had a rainstorm that cooled things down to 75F. Tomorrow and the rest of this week are all over 90F but sounds like it will be hotter there. Try and stay hydrated everyone and take it easy in the heat! Does anyone still doubt climate change? I certainly don't.

Nigel²

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Funny that this thread has emerged today, when I had already planned to send good wishes to you all. 40C isn't comfortable in anyone's language. Added to that, we're hearing of wildfires in Europe. I can only repeat what is said above; keep up the water, and for the best results plain water. Virtuaĺly anything else will warm you.
Keep safe, thinking of you all.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

01:30am here just north of Cambridge and it's still 24C outside. A couple of nights ago, opening a window upstairs and the patio door by a few centimetres brought a lovely cooling flow of air into the house. Not tonight, it's completely still. Oh well, just have to survive tomorrow (actually that's now 'today') after which the temperatures are forecast to drop.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

ajb
Comet
Comet

Post by ajb »

I really feel for you guys in the rest of the UK, I'm no fan of hot weather so if I was in those tempertures I think I would probably melt. Certainly does nothing good for my temper unfortunately. We moved up here to the Western Isles 20 years ago and the weather is usually cool and often grey overhead. This week I am glad to be here, yesterday we hit the heady heights of 20C, today will be cooler at around 18C.

Good luck to you all in keeping cool today. As the advice says, keep hydrated and out of the sun.

Andy
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 core 4.2GHz
AsusTeK Prime B450M-A Motherboard
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 1600MHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 4Gb
3x 250Gb SSD + 1x 1Tb HDD

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Kevin Farnell wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 22:30
I don't understand these 'F' units you quote for temperature. Give me 'C' or even Kelvin 'K', I know where I am with those.

Kevin
It's odd - I'm as pro-metrication and SI units as anyone, but I still find it easier to judge how warm the weather is by Fahrenheit rather than Celsius. I think it goes back to my childhood years in warmer climes.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I always prefer using Imperial Measurements as for instance cannot get used to speed in kilometers and used to wonder why the hell F1 commentators had to ruin the race by saying how fast a driver was going through a bend in kilometers rather than miles per hour and I had to do a quick conversion using converter I have. Equally, temperatures are much easier to understand in 'F' as apposed to 'C'.

Temperatures are due to drop tomorrow so hopefully we will be back to some normality, though some are forecasting a return of this weather is expected next month, perish the thought!! :worried:

Just hope everyone here is keeping safe, just watched a video of a man who was digging a trench to save his village have a lucky escape though not without serious burns!! Just wish him well for a full and quick recovery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62216159

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I was one of those who went through both the change over to the metric system and the change over to decimal currency in Junior School (Grade School for Leftpondians) so I got used to using both systems. High school was all metric units as was College/Poly/Uni. Once I was out of formal education and the engineering field I switched between systems as and when required. After I emigrated I was amazed to find that even though Canada is officially metric when you live this close to the US border and work in engineering companies who primarily deal with US customers a lot of dimensions/weights/volumes still use the Imperial (albeit US modified) system.

Nowadays I have preferences as to which system I like to use depending on the size in question, for example:

Distance
Less than 1" (25mm) = fractions of an inch, thousands of an inch or sometimes mm if the Imperial size is a bit weird!
Less than 1 ft (300mm) = either system
Above 1 ft = feet/yards
Greater distances = yards/miles/nautical miles (rarely km)

Weight
Imperial system

Volume
Imperial system

Speed
MPH, Knots, rarely KPH except for when driving as I HAVE to use KPH then!

Temperature
Outside winter temps. = Celsius (-10°C is far easier to understand how cold it is compared to 14°F)
Outside summer temps. = Fahrenheit (85°F is easier to understand how hot it is compared to 30°C)
Inside temps. = mostly Fahrenheit

Some things, like temperatures, are just easier for me to recognize/visualize/have a feel for in one system over the other. Weird I guess but that's just the way I am! :agree: ;)
Larry