Car Parking Laws Changing.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Car Parking Laws Changing.

Post by Nigel H-J »

Private car parking laws are changing but exactly when I don't know. Companies such as Parking Eye are a pain in the ar*e and I have had run ins with them when a hotel receptionist had missed off 2 days parking stay when I had in fact paid it. Fortunately the hotel was able to cancel the fines but even though the charges were on the hotel bill the company refused to take any notice of that which is typical of them but now, even if a reg number has been inputted incorrectly, they will not be able to fine you.

New rules also grant motorists five minutes to read a car parks terms and conditions before their parking period starts and ten minutes will be allowed for a late return. Disabled people who forget to display their blue badge cannot be fined. Parking charges outside London are to be reduced from £100
to £70 or £50 though £100 fines will remain if trespassing on private land or abusing blue badge bays.

Parking debt collectors will be banned from adding additional excess fees to the level of the parking charge. Also if fines are paid within 14 days then they are reduced by 50%.

A compulsory 10 minute grace period will be granted before firms can issue late fines. Also a 5 minute cooling off period will be included in which a motorist can change their mind about parking, in other words, if the parking charges are not to your liking as long as you leave within 5 minutes of arriving , parking fines cannot be issued.

At Lincoln County Hospital Parking Eye who have C.C.T.V. cameras in operation are well known not to allow people off who have had a reasonable excuse such as an appointment was late, now this new law will stop them in their tracks!!

'Appy parking!!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Car Parking Laws Changing.

Post by Airspeed »

Wow :-O
Tough times, Nigel!
Certain of our roads are "Clearways" at certain times. Of those, the toughest penalties are for "Tow Away" signed spots........
Overview of the penalties if you park in a tow-away zone

If you park in a tow-away zone during the restricted times, your vehicle can be towed away, and you will be liable to pay up to $543 in fees and fines.
Fees and fines

A vehicle release fee of $361
If you do not collect your towed vehicle within 5 days, you will incur a $15.20 storage fee for every day after that until you collect the vehicle.
Drivers who park illegally in the signed tow-away zones during restricted times will be issued an infringement notice, and in addition will be required to pay a vehicle release fee for their towed vehicle.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Car Parking Laws Changing.

Post by Nigel H-J »

WOW Mike, those costs are very high!! :-O I know in London they operate a similar scheme I think and maybe in other cities. When I worked in C.C.T.V. we had contact with the council car parks on radio. The system they used at that time was that they allowed around ten minutes for the driver to pay for parking on arrival and ten minutes grace after the time ran out.

We had a good rapport with them during the evenings and into the early hours of the morning and, as they allowed certain favours' for the manager of a well known Pizza Restaurant, the car park staff used to get a couple of pizzas a week and give us a freshly baked large pizza once a week, I can tell you it was absolutely delicious and piping hot!!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.