Congratulations England! What a team!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Congratulations England! What a team!

Post by TSR2 »

I’m absolutely delighted. A group, a team that everyone played their socks off for their country. And we can all be immensely proud of. No Egos. No club first. And not just the England team. The fundamental difference between the womans and mens game is that there isn’t the same vitriol. Thats exactly why the atmosphere watching 3rd tier woman’s football at St.James Park in front of 22000 people was infinitely more enjoyable than watching 40000 at a mens friendly on Friday night. I’m absolutely delighted. What a team.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Congratulations England! What a team!

Post by Kevin Farnell »

I'm delighted too and still pinching myself. Whilst the game was quite nerve jangling at times, I always believed that the girls had the skills and motivation to win. Throughout the whole tournament, I've never seen any signs of nerves from the Lionesses (which is often present in the men's team). Their heads have never dropped if they had a setback. They just wanted to play and seemed to enjoy every second of it. As you say, although there are skilled individuals, they play as a team and that is their biggest strength.
Credit to Germany who proved to be very capable opposition and looked dangerous on every attack.
It was interesting that legs were getting tired in extra time (and is to be expected), but once the final whistle went, all signs of tiredness disappeared and the girls just wanted to dance. They stayed on the pitch for so long after the game had ended, going around the stadium and entertaining the crowd (who were magnificent).
I hope they've been allowed to have a drink or three. They certainly deserve it.

Congratulations England and Thank You!

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Congratulations to all of them, not least their Dutch coach, Sarina Wiegman. The country needed a bit of a lift, with all the doom and gloom around lately. The message from the Queen capped a wonderful evening. World Cup next, ladies! :thumbsup:

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Congratulations Lionesses! Every reason to celebrate their victory.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsWSL/status ... 8626609155
How sweet it is!

Nigel²

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

nigelb wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 00:38
Congratulations Lionesses! Every reason to celebrate their victory.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsWSL/status ... 8626609155
How sweet it is!

Nigel²
:lol: :lol: :lol: I saw a similar clip on the BBC. I wonder what the girls had in those drinks bottles? and I bet they're still celebrating.

Kevin

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

TSR2 wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 20:37
The fundamental difference between the womans and mens game is that there isn’t the same vitriol.
Too right, Ben - when meself and brewmeister Tony-next-door do the daily quality checks on the homebrew, we watch women's cricket on Kayo or YT or wherever we can find it. Very entertaining. The slightly slower pace puts a lot of subtle skills on display, and all the teams seem to be truly friendly rivals having fun. Not like the thug cricket practised by the Oz men's sides. That really rubs me up the wrong way - like badly used sandpaper, if you get my drift 8)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Never have been much of a football fan and when I have watched it the male footballers are to some point overly aggressive in their game play how-ever, I did take the time to watch the highlights and can only offer high praise for the way the British Ladies Football Team played. They held their nerves under intense pressure to win and the way the game went showed how football should be played.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Nigel H-J wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 13:19
I did take the time to watch the highlights and can only offer high praise for the way the British Ladies Football Team played.
Regards
Nigel.
That should of course read 'the England Ladies Football Team'. England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales compete as individual nations in FIFA international competitions.
Whilst on the subject, I think the unsung hero of the England team has to be Mary Earps (Goalkeeper). Without the amazing saves she made throughout the competition, England would not have progressed so far.

Kevin

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Interesting that they are "Ladies" rather than "Women's" teams.
No matter, congratulations to them.
It is still sport in the female games. Pity the men too often resort to violence or sneaky behaviour.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Airspeed wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 03:30
Interesting that they are "Ladies" rather than "Women's" teams.
No matter, congratulations to them.
Actually, it is correct to call them the 'England Women's team', rather than the 'ladies team'. Affectionately (and respectfully) known as 'The Lionesses'.

Kevin