Dave Garwoods DH98 Mosquito Mk IV fuel issue

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Dave Garwoods DH98 Mosquito Mk IV fuel issue

Post by alan cottrill »

Hi.
I posted under < Dave Garwoods DH98 Mosquito Mk IV > but not yet had a reply , i have found errors in the fuel gauges the fwd gauges should read the main tanks not the aux tanks qty , and rear gauges should read aux tanks not main tanks qty .
I dont expect changes in the model after all this time , would it be ok for me to alter the aircraft.cfg fuel section , to get correct qty and indication as best as possible .
regards Alan. B-)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Dave Garwoods DH98 Mosquito Mk IV fuel issue

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Alan, if the aircraft is solely for your own personal use and not going to be shared to any-one then I don't honestly think it matters.

When using FSX I used to alter some of the settings in the aircraft.cfg on models such as the Trident - BAC 1-11 such as tyre smoke on touch down etc. No one knew (until now) :lol: so it does not matter in that sense. If you were to alter changes and put it on for others to use then you would certainly need permission.

I now await disciplinary action!!!!!!!!! :hide:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Sorry Alan, I missed the post.

By all means modify the cfg as you like.

I haven't checked the files myself, but if it is incorrect, I'm surprised it's never been reported before. :dunno:

Edit: don't forget the sim uses US gallons, and the Mossie would have used Imperial gallons. Don't know if that's the problem, but it may cause some discrepancies.
Dave G.

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

Hi Dave.
I forgot about the us /imp gal which explains the contents , but that was not the main issue .
If you fire up the mosquito at any airport with full tanks , then go to fuel section and empty one of the main tanks of its 171 gal and you will see one of the rear gauges read empty but the gauge is only calibrated from 0 to 59 on the gauge face similarly if you look at the fwd gauges with full tanks it reads full but the dial face says 0 to 146 gal but its only reading the aux tanks fuel of 69 gals .
Because this is in the model which i cannot alter , i have effectivly cheated by making the AUX capacity 171 and the mains 69 to match the gauges , this changed the cg a little so using a temp white nav light , for location purposes , i repositioned the tanks to about the center of the tanks according to a cutaway drawing of the mosquito , this seems to keep the mosquito cg close to where you had it .
I also noticed you had not modeled the fuel tank selectors so i made a provision for two valves in the aircaft.cfg and asigned switches in FSUIPC to select the tanks fwd-aux/ctr/aft-main , i also asigned a switch to transfer fuel fwd while switch held and off when released so fuel can be transfered from aft ctr gauge to fwd-ctr gauge , else fuel does not get used in the rear ctr gauge , if you dont touch any tank selectors then fuel is used from all tanks via default fsx usage order .
I also added an auto pilot for when i am away from controls , not real i know , but better than hitting pause .
i have yet to check the max range against a video i saw , where a pilot who flew mosquitos and a write up i saw indicates the aircraft should have a range of 2040 miles , which if i remember is about 1700 nm aprox , but i need to find out what whights of fuel/bomb and eng settings where used for this max range , as i have only managed about 850 nm with about 12% fuel left .
I do like flying this aircraft , wish i had downloaded it a lot sooner , and i love that vintage looking radio .
regards Alan. B-)

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Well it looks like I cocked up the fuel system somehow. As I mentioned earlier, it was 10 years ago, so I can't recall exactly why I did it that way, and I'm surprised no-one else has noticed in all that time. I'm not going to make any changes, I don't have FSX or P3d installed anymore to check and test, or the SDK tools to export an updated model.
Dave G.

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

Hi Dave.
I did not expect any model changes after all this time , but i have managed to cheat by changing the fuel section of the aircraft.cfg , and the fwd gauges now read 143 imp gal and rear gauges read 69 imp gal , just thought you might still have FSX running to see what i was trying to explain a bit better thats all , its me thats still stuck in FSX and late to the party with regards to the mosquito , so no worries .
regards Alan. B-)

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Once while coming home from a daylight raid on Cherbourg my left engine quit due to lack of fuel?
Or maybe that was the Beaufighter?
Anyway it's just an excuse to post some old pictures.
strike8.jpg
strike8.jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 946 times
Image10.jpg
Image10.jpg (128.11 KiB) Viewed 946 times

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Nice formation :welldone: :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Nice. :) I do like the Beaufighter, that was one of my favourites to model.
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

It was a cracker. Those dive brakes were brilliant. :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage