It Now Works!!

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

It Now Works!!

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just a quick flight in Hawaii and to top it all a bit of very British weather that we are not getting. Re-installing Windows has done the job!! :excited:

I did have a CTD but then forgot about the graphic settings so put them to Medium and have enjoyed a few flights whilst trying my hardest to get a comfortable position in the seat, using Track IR but could do with altering my seat and /or position as I can in X-Plane 11.

Looked at the camera views but cannot find anything to move right left etc, up and down is too quick need to slow the speed down so I can get the best view out.

Anyway, here is just a shot of my take-off.

Regards
Nigel
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: It Now Works!!

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi Nigel
Glad you got it sorted :thumbsup: I guess it was something screwed in the registry. We'll never know now.

Setting in options /camera. Height, etc. Also alter your freelook speed from here
d25184a0bbfa53354578672f8c58508ebd9f59bd.jpeg
d25184a0bbfa53354578672f8c58508ebd9f59bd.jpeg (123.46 KiB) Viewed 615 times
Dale
Image Image Image

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Great to hear you've got it running at last, Nigel. You'll still get the odd CTD occasionally during boot up, as I did a couple of days ago - as usual, it ran fine on the second attempt. Keep in mind your add-ons, though. I had a livery for the JPL-modded Cessna 152 causing problems at one point. Moved it out of the Community folder and problem solved. Why a livery ? No idea!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Brilliant Dale, many thanks now will be able to set my views much better than they are at present. I would also like to know why it kept crashing but still cannot fathom it out. I suppose the fact that it was placing folders onto another drive apart from the one it was installing to might throw a bit of light onto it. I did find out one thing, I selected my 'D' Drive this time for the installation but forgot to make a new Folder labelled MS2020 instead, MS2020 created one labelled XBoxgames so all went well in the end. :thumbsup:

Paul, many thanks for the tips, I had set graphics to medium and now what I am doing is going through each selection and putting to high but not all as do not want to overload. The runway for instance could go higher and look much better though not sure with graphic setting does that otherwise I am slowly getting there.

One question is how do I set the visibility on a clear day? not sure where that is and had a look on weather but could not see a selection for it unless I am completely blind!! :dunno:

Regards
Nigel.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi Nigel
Just as a point you can't alter the fwd/back viewpoint from the camera settings, only the zoom, which brings everything closer or further. I alter the eyepoint position in the camera.cfg file of the particular aircraft I'm flying.
For the graphics setting I would start with Full screen resolution Most seem to say full 4 K is overkill and will pull the performance down. Setting to 2k will enable a greater freedom to up Level of detail setting. 160 to 200 on terrain lod and 200 on objects lod. The rest are pretty well your choice whether you prefer ultra clouds or ultra trees etc. At the end of the day it's a balancing act between acceptable performance and pleasing graphics.
Not sure what you mean re the weather Are you running real time weather or want to just run with the presets? Just pull on the quick options on the top triangle thing and open time and weather options Live weather would normally be set to on. Switch it off and below should appear your presets, Clear skys, few clouds etc You can also add wind and cloud layers if you wish.
Shout if you need any help.
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dale and very many thanks for those tips. I have been doing step by step increases of the graphics, so far so good and looking better every-time.

The visibility I was asking about is even in clear weather (As in FSX) you can scale the visibility down to say 8 miles in clear vis so as to imitate haze or fog but having looked around it appears that MS2020 have yet to do it!!

The only way that visibility can be reduced is as you say, clouds which I did at Gloucester Airport and flew to the Wye Valley where my parents used to live. quite an experience with low clouds!! :-O

Again Dale, many thanks for taking the time to answer my question

Regards
Nigel.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

I think the haze effect is burnt into the sim and isnt in the settings. I find the real weather does quite a good approximation of haze, and its not far off matching real world visibility on the weather forecast. But again it depends on your lod setting where the scenery goes into a blur. There are a few presets that I wish would come out into the settings. One is the eye adaption. It's too overdone for my liking It can be turned off in user cfg but not reduced.
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Nigel,

Great news! I too have gone from 4K to 2K as I find it smoother and crucially easier on my eyes, in that it feels less strenuous.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Dale, guess some more improvements will be on the cards in the near future. Have downloaded the Duxford scenery and did some flights with varying weather, took me a bit by surprise when on final turn to land I ran into a rain shower and trying to find the runway was hell of a job but just as I was going to open up and go around saw it at my 11 o clock, talk about cutting things fine!! :poke:

Found some really fantastic airports on Flightsim.2 even dear old Wickenby where I flew from a number of times.

Hi Ben, yes certainly great news after the problems I have had, was going to wait a day before re-installing MS2020 but with the download speeds I now get I had windows 11 on in a trice!! Well, not exactly but you know what I mean. :$ I don't think I am on 2K as my settings are 1920X1080 which I find good enough, still feeling my way around so sticking with single and twins at the moment.

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel H-J wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 18:57
Have downloaded the Duxford scenery and did some flights with varying weather, took me a bit by surprise when on final turn to land I ran into a rain shower and trying to find the runway was hell of a job but just as I was going to open up and go around saw it at my 11 o clock, talk about cutting things fine!!
Hi Nigel - one of the handiest view hotkeys is the one below, especially when you're in the circuit and run into a shower, or if you have a high-wing aircraft like the Cessna, and the wing obscures the view as you turn. It is also very handy if you're looking for a grass airstrip which doesn't stand out against the surrounding countryside. It will point your view at the centre of the nearest airfield (i.e. the one you're trying to land at ) and on my set-up was assigned by default to Joystick Button 1 - the trigger button. I use it all the time now.