What do you think?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

What do you think?

Post by Nigel H-J »

I bought a Tom Tom Satnav from Halfords today. Went home and tried to register it but.......This is where it gets really strange. I went to the Tom Tom site but then Google stopped me, it said that the certificate for the site has elapsed and cannot guarantee the security so asked for me to load security Google securely or somethin gto that effect. tried twice more with the same happening. Retyped Tom Tom to Tom Tom.com then to the site, went to register e-mail then name then password, tried to sign in and would not allow it so went for forgot password, went to change it and was not accepted, no e-mail received either.

I shut down and restarted after using tracks eraser from Glary Utilities but still the problem exists. The home screen seems to have changed for Tom Tom after my first attempt but still cannot register even though it says user with same name already registered. Think I am going back to Halfords and have it changed to another make, not happy at all, so has some-one now got my e-mail address and name?
Never have I had this happen before and my security (Bitdefender) did nothing!!??

Maybe I am worrying about nothing but do suffer greatly from anxiety due to working at City Hall, (Lot of bullying etc).

So as the title reads, what do you think?

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: What do you think?

Post by Vc Ten »

I take it you did'nt click on the link /unsafe on the bottom of the page ?
If not you will be ok.
I tried the same address and it came up with the same unsafe to proceed page, with it showing its credentials has expired.
I did a search for Tom Tom and it gave the global address with /en-gb, The site will know your location from your ip, which may be their new web site layout.
Ben will know more detail than me
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

HI dale :hello: No I didn't go to the bottom but did go back to safety in other words allowed Google to go to safe page, this happened a couple of times until finally even though I could not complete the registration I could not even reset password. I did eventually get into the site by signing in but as I had to also put my e-mail address when I turned the Tom Tom on to update it it would not accept my e-mail address and told me to enter a different one on the screen of the Tom Tom. Well, that was it, I turned the bl**dy thing off and going to take it back to Halfords for a refund.

I still don't know whether any-one might have jumped onto my e-mail address or not but thinking of closing it down and starting another e-mail address instead and to be on the safe side should I or shouldn't I? :dunno:

Regards
Nigel

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Can’t beat a good road atlas Nigel :agree: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Had a couple of similar experiences recently since a windows update, the site I was after said nor secure because its address did not have https:\\
A bit of digging & it seems M$ have upped their firewall security level & i don't know where to change it, but could it also be my sophos setting. Dunno haven't changed anything so haven't been there...
Keith

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Can’t beat a good road atlas Nigel :agree: EricT
:lol: :lol: Actually I do have one Eric!! Getting to a town or city is no problem but when in a town or city the sat nav is very handy.

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Well finally got it sorted, got refund and purchased a Garmin. Boy, was much easier to register as well. I also invested in a backup though, it is a talking map reader........Babs, If I missed the turn I get one verbal warning!! :hide: If I miss another turning :poke:

Regards
Nigel.