Happy Birthday threads

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Happy Birthday threads

Post by Paul K »

Mike, being the first to awake as the world turns, you've been doing a sterling job starting 'Happy Birthday' threads. :cheers:

However, many of the people haven't been seen on the forum, or heard from, in many years, and I wonder whether it's worth your while. For example, looking at recent threads, Jayviator hasn't posted anything since 2010, while Railman023 hasn't even logged in since 2008.

Is it worth it ? It's your choice, of course, but as activity here at CBFS slowly dwindles away, the responses to birthday greetings are also becoming sparse. Personally, I'd mention people who've been in to post within the last year or two - otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Happy Birthday threads

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Paul,
I've thought the same myself, and for a short while, I skipped some.
I mentioned to Admin that perhaps we should tidy up the Members list, and the response was along the lines that nobody is ever deleted due to inactivity.
OK, not my site, I'm just the voluntary messenger.
I therefore do very plain greetings for the long absent ones, and often ask them to let us know how they are getting on, should they pop in, hoping that they will post something....anything.
It's not really a problem for me to post a HB, but I do share your concern about the lack of general traffic.

Ben has provided us with a luverly platform, and as people say: "Use it, or lose it."

There are interesting people in our Membership, actual owners of aircraft, folks with interesting jobs etc. It would be nice to hear more of what they're doing.
Then there are the simmers, who must be able to upload a few screenshots of where they have been, locally or long distance.
I often feel that I'm in everyone's face enough, with HBs, Wordle, the Spotter, and commenting on others' posts. However, you'll be glad to hear that I have definitely stopped trying to post jokes, as my sense of humour is unusual.

So how about it, everyone, are you going to let this fizzle? :((

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi all,

Yes, Mike is right. We talked about this when the forum started up and we all agreed that unless someone wanted to be deleted, we should keep the accounts in the list. One reason being it gives a snapshot of a moment in time if that makes sense.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I joined more than 15 years ago, a newby some might say, but I never divulged my DOB so don't get birthday greetings. I'm ok with that.

I do read them, and if I recognise the person I post a greeting. If that person hasn't been around for a long time, I don't bother.

:cheers:

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

Actually, it's kind of nice coming to the forum and seeing a birthday greeting.

Like, Wow. I'm still alive only a year older. :welldone:

Wish the rest of my family would remember. :dunno:

--WH

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

For me personally, if Mike goes through the trouble to post a birthday greeting, I'll reply with my own birthday greeting. I know it does seem silly to send a birthday wish to someone who'll never see it. :lol: Maybe we'll earn some good karma somewhere in the cosmos. :dunno:

Brian

Silversim
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Silversim »

As an inveterate "lurker" I check out the forum nearly everyday, except when browning my bits in Greece B-) on holiday, and would hate it if I got "deleted" ;) ....at least the birthday wishes remind me I'm still shuffling around this mortal coil......albeit not quite so quickly :S as when I joined CBFS :)

Gina
It's so nice to be insane, nobody asks you to explain.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Popping in for a peek doesn't register, only when you log in. So the record may not truly represent "activity".

As I said above, I'm a bit concerned about the general lack of traffic.
Maybe for instance, Gina sees some float planes in the waters about Greece. Some pics of them would be good :dunno:

Silversim
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Silversim »

Airspeed wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 01:12
Popping in for a peek doesn't register, only when you log in. So the record may not truly represent "activity".

As I said above, I'm a bit concerned about the general lack of traffic.
Maybe for instance, Gina sees some float planes in the waters about Greece. Some pics of them would be good :dunno:
Point taken Mike ;)

I have to admit I've not seen any real float planes in Greece since 2007/8 when the Twin Otters used to ply their trade between Corfu and Paxos....happy days :)
It's so nice to be insane, nobody asks you to explain.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Gina :hello:
That wasn't a criticism, btw, just reminding folks that it may seem that they're not looking, simply because they didn't log in.
The second bit was about folks doing potentially interesting stuff, but not telling us.