The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

New RTX out soon

Post by Nigel H-J »

I can visualise it now.

Umm Babs, can I buy a new graphics card please?

What's wrong with the one you have?

Weeeeeell, its kind of slowish!! :hide:

But you can run your games on it right? :poke:

Weeeell, yes and no just needs to be a bit faster.

How fast?

Very fast!

How much?

Weeeel. kinda near to £1,000 or maybe just under!!!

*%$&**+*&^!!! :poke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ubAyuSXYY4
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: New RTX out soon

Post by Vc Ten »

Funnily enough I've just been reading about it Nigel, on the msfs forum It looks a phenomenal card I must admit. But I would have thought the game would then become cpu bound. My cpu is the bottleneck already and I'm on a rtx 2070s ?? I know once we get dx12 established and able to use dlss It will make the gpu become better utilized Hell this has dlss 3 we've not used 1 or 2 yet :lol:
Only thing I'm worried is the lack of memory on the older gen cards and I see that becoming an issue further down the road when 16gig + is the norm
Dale
Image Image Image

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Buy it, Nigel. You must! Faster, FASTER!!! :lol:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Paul, your help and advice is always welcome..............til now!!! :poke: :lol: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dale, I too have an RTX2070 and the only time I have to cut back on settings is when I fire up VR then graphics can take a hit but just using Track IR I am very happy as can run nearly full graphics in MS2020 i.e. High end settings which I can increase things such as cloud to max setting.

Finding visuals in MS to be a whole lot better even when comparing against X-plane 12, though am not knocking the sim but just somehow to my mind they have let themselves down badly on ground features and even simHeaven does not do X-plane justice. ORBX does though but am not putting any money into other ORBX products so will just use TE England or rather the whole of the UK with MS2020 taking all of the rest of the world.

Regards
Nigel.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Yes Nigel. The only thing I'm thinking is dx12 gives more freedom to the developer to manage the memory allocation. I know when dx12 was available on P3d that I ran out of memory a few times on detailed airports. Just Sim Brussels was one of the worst for it.
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

So far but only a few flights since pressing the DX12 Button I have not had any problems, presently grounded as just had a 9.41 update on MS2020, seems to be aircraft/airports cities etc. Now downloading 22H2, will fire up after install.

Regards
Nigel.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Have you seen the size of these cards? Absolutely huge, also heavy enough to require support. The high-end cards have crazy power requirements so if you don't have the power supply to cope that's another cost. The good news is that there's probably enough heat produced by these things to brew a decent cup of tea. :lol:

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

I'm hoping their release drops the price of the previous generation of cards. Currently running a 2070 Super and looking for a 3070ti but I can't justify £700.

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Nothing changes, does it? I posted this in the sorely missed Visual Flight Forum, back in September 2005. If you have a login there, look for a thread titled 'Reflective Water'.

"I was just looking at the one of the latest graphics cards. If you read the marketing hype it is really a wonderful cooling system with a graphics processor attached. It costs about 50% more than did the whole system it would be going into, and I would need to go to a 500w power supply so that the chip could generate enough heat to need a wonderful cooling supply. Are we all being conned?"

MikeW