Need help

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Need help

Post by Nigel H-J »

Started computer and went to sign in but message appeared.

Something happened and your pin is'nt available. Click to setup your pin again.

So I did and then this.

It does'nt look like you are connected to the internet. Check your connection and try again.

I am connected to the internet but now unable to progress any further. Just don't know what to do. I am connected as using Babs laptop.

Looks like a job for a computer repair as unable to get into windows or even change password, just end up with opening screen to sign in.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Need help

Post by Nigel H-J »

Well I have tried everything including renaming my name and password through DOS with the help of MS but no luck. Gone down the route of uninstalling and re-installing Windows which has now completed.

One question is I had installed MS2020 on a separate Drive but MS also installs into C I believe. Now I have rather a lot to do before spending time on games but do I have to re-install all of MS2020?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Nigel.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hmm *-) If you've done a full install I would have thought it would have reformatted c drive, rebuilt the registry in the process, and windows wouldn't have a clue about anything else on the computer. If you have just done a repair it may be different. Does any programs show on your desktop?
I would keep all of msfs out of your c drive anyway. For your initial download from the store (or are you on steam?) I would point it to a folder you have created on say d drive (call it msfs) then once that's installed and you are up to installing the content, now with the game running, just point that to another folder on the same drive (say called msfs content) Don't let it put it in c which it will by default (click on the black box where it gives the default location. It will let you then select your preferred folder. Then click on install next to it) :agree:
You will probably need to manually delete the existing msfs install as the uninstaller will have lost its way with the new windows installation
Hope you get it there
Dale
*********Edit*********
Having second thoughts on the initial install.
If I remember right, the installer gives you the option which drive you want to install on, and if there is room on that particular drive.
I selected G drive, and the installer created msfs folder in the root of G drive. Then on starting the sim, it stops at the install updates screen and that's where you point it to the folder "msfs contents" you previously created in the root of the same drive.
Hope that makes better sense.
If you initially select d drive, but then let the contents install to the default (c drive), the contents will still be written to d, but the installer will create symbolic links (shortcuts) in c drive, so as to make it think its installed in c. It's messy and people struggle with getting added content in the community folder recognised.
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dale, very many thanks for your advice which is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

I had to restart the computer using Restart + Shift which got me into a menu and after trying out a few options I had enough and went for a full re-install. So effectively I have to install all of my software. :doh:

MS2020 needed to be manually deleted as you wrote but some folders were protected and the easiest option was to format disc. I will re-install MS2020 but not just yet, one thing I did notice that confused me a bit was the Just Flight 146. I had set it up ready for take-off and throttles would not move, warning lights were flashing. Tried a number of times but could not even get the throttles to move or the controls for that matter even though the controls were set up properly. It was after that that my computer then would not let me sign in. Strange!! :dunno:

Regards
Nigel.