This Will Put You Off Having a Self Driving Car For Life

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

This Will Put You Off Having a Self Driving Car For Life

Post by Nigel H-J »

I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: This Will Put You Off Having a Self Driving Car For Life

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Not that I ever wanted one in the first place. I don't like not being in control, which is why I also hate automatics and by default, electric vehicles.

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Farnell on 31 Dec 2022, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

and don't even get me started on hydrogen as a car fuel!

(BTW I love automatic transmission, I drive a self charging hybrid auto)
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

(BTW I love automatic transmission, I drive a self charging hybrid auto)
So do I Adrian. Presently I have the Toyota Corolla Estate Hybrid and driving in cold weather I can still get around 65mpg or a bit more if I really try but even then that is not an accurate figure, it is more likely to be at least 10 per cent lower in real terms. Might do a tank to tank fill and work it out to see the actual difference.

Also one feature that I really love is the MY Toyota App which shows where my car is although might be shown as next door but near enough to locate, also gives information of all my trips including route, average speed, duration, distance plus other features so if it was stolen and unlike a tracker which can be removed, this App will continue to update the cars location in real time.

I shun the thought of having to go full electric as it is not advanced enough for me to even show interest in one. Ideally, an electric car should be able to attain something in the region of 350 miles plus but the biggest problem with all electric cars is that of the batteries, some are overheating resulting in catching fire.

Although having a life span of between 8 to 10 years changing them would cost presently around £5000 for a new setup but Tesla Models quite a bit more.

Anyway, if all cars were electric as well as heavy goods vehicles then would our energy grids be pushed to the limit especially in winter months? *-)

Regards
Nigel.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

adysmith wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 09:53
BTW I love automatic transmission
I absolutely despise it! Give me a gear stick, a rev counter and a clutch and I will control the engine, not some computer algorithm. A while ago, my Mini Cooper had to go in for repair (timing chain tensioner failed, resulting in it spewing out oil - so pleased that I took the extended warrantee). As a result, I got a BMW 1 series as a loan car. It was an automatic, and the most miserable driving experience I've ever had and the only time I have ever driven an automatic (the car was no better - very 'plastic' in build quality -I also have my late Dad's VW Golf TDI and it's far superior to the BMW).
To me, an automatic represents 'dumbed down driving' - no real skill required. And one last annoying point. When drivers of automatics are stopped at traffic lights, they tend to sit with their foot on the brake. If I'm sat behind, or even two cars back, it's enough to make it feel like my eyes are bleeding.In a manual, it's simple. Stop, into first gear, hand brake on, keep clutch depressed and foot off brake. Traffic lights change to green and your ready to go -hand brake off and gently release clutch, whilst adding a little accelerator.

Kevin

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

And one last annoying point. When drivers of automatics are stopped at traffic lights, they tend to sit with their foot on the brake. If I'm sat behind, or even two cars back, it's enough to make it feel like my eyes are bleeding.In a manual, it's simple. Stop, into first gear, hand brake on, keep clutch depressed and foot off brake. Traffic lights change to green and your ready to go -hand brake off and gently release clutch, whilst adding a little accelerator.

Hi Kevin, :hello: I totally agree with you on the above but, it is not just those driving automatic cars a lot of drivers do the same with gear changes, I only changed to autos because of my disability, but when stopped at traffic lights and although my car has auto-brake hold (or whatever it is called) I never use it simply because I do not wish to blind the other driver behind.

Also, using the handbrake at lights reduces tiredness by keeping the clutch engaged, I always put it in neutral and by the time the lights have gone from amber to green plenty of time to select gear and hand brake off well, that was the way I drove in my Advanced Driving Test!

I do honestly detest drivers who are too lazy or ignorant to put on their handbrakes especially when at closed level crossings and are blinding others behind, especially my wife who has cataracts!! :rant:

Regards
Nigel.

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

I sympathise with Nigel's issue with other cars' tail lights.On the other hand, at least his wife hasn't noticed the Toyota parked up on next door's driveway. :worried:

My wife got a fitbity thing from our daughter who ran off south giggling away at the thought of I and her brother having to set the pesky tech up for her. There seems to be a lot of wrist shaking and thingy tapping going on.................... :OB:

You would never get me in anything Tesla, from what I've seen the tech is shoddy - and the door handles retract in motion so there is no chance of getting anyone out of a burning one.

Their attitude to anyone wanting to buy a battery farm from them is "that's what we offer - take it or leave it." We left it.

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Forgot to mention that Tesla shares have fallen by 65% in 2022. Get the feeling the CEO is getting his bumps felt by the banks.

Not quite up to Andrew Tate levels of Kharma but gives a warm feeling.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Nigel H-J wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 15:11
I always put it in neutral and by the time the lights have gone from amber to green plenty of time to select gear and hand brake off well
Regards
Nigel.
If i think that I'm only going to be stopped for a brief period, I will put the car into first gear, apply the handbrake and take my foot off the brake whilst keeping the clutch depressed. If I feel it's going to be any longer, I will put it into neutral and releasee the clutch. With the Mini Cooper having 'Stop - Start' technology, this stops the engine. As the lights change to amber and I depress the clutch to engage first gear, the engine re-starts.

Kevin