WEATHER!

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

adysmith
VC10
VC10

WEATHER!

Post by adysmith »

Headed out East recently, first leg to Tehran, weather 1500 metres in mist, cloud at 200 feet.

I am legal to land in that weather in RW flying so off I went, only to discover, less than a mile from the runway at Tehran, that the ILS was not aligned correctly with the runway (FSX default scenery)!

Result - Hard Landing.

Next leg to Calcutta (or Kolkatta if you wish) where it has been 3500 metres in haze for long enough.

Once again the ILS is not correctly aligned with the runway, but at least I had enough time to correct it and make a decent landing.

Got in, and out of, Kathmandu without issue, Calcutta still poor weather but I was ready for it.

Paro (VQPR) is difficult enough in gin clear weather, but cloud was at minima (10,500 altitude!) and took two attempts to get on the runway, second was successful but another hard landing, unsurprising with such a steep, offset approach through the mountains to a short runway. Plant it and be done!
(Back to Calcutta in much the same weather, getting good at this last minute realignment)

Kai Tak (VHHX) RW13 from the IGS was a doddle in comparison!
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: WEATHER!

Post by TSR2 »

Sounds like a bit of a challenge 😁

What were you flying? I’d a couple of stinkers like that flying the Hunter out to Aus following Paul’s Mac Air Race, no ILS either so it was a case of how low dare you go.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Super VC10.

Weather was within limits if the ILS was aligned right.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I really miss the VC10 and Trident. 😳

ImageImageImage

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Reminds me of all my flights through Northern India/Himalayas at this time of year. I used to take part in the flight sim community 'Round the World Race' every year and you were almost guaranteed bad weather with severe low visibility in that area. Most of the time we didn't have the luxury of large airports with ILS or even lights in some cases due to routing constraints so the landings were always high on the 'pucker factor' scale! :-O
Larry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I still have the VC10 in my hanger but it is long time storage until I decide to re-install FSX but that is now unlikely as have X-Plane 11 and 12 and MS2020. X-Plane 11 staying put as waiting for the time when aircraft are updated to V12 whenever that will be!!

As for the Trident I only wish that some-one would try to update it for MS2020, that is my favourite aircraft and would be flown in the sim a lot.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Me too Nigel, I loved the T2 for speed, but using the boost engine in the T3 was strangely satisfying. I don't think we'll ever see one again tbh. All those with the memories are getting older now, and then you need someone with the talent to make one. :(

ImageImageImage

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Talking of the Trident, has anyone heard from Peter McLeland recently?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

cstorey wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 12:05
Send you a PM

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Me too, have been wondering whether or not to raise this question as he has not been around lately, I know on some occasions he does have a habit of being away for some time before suddenly appearing.

Hope he is OK.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.