Newark Air Museum

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Newark Air Museum

Post by Tomliner »

This may be of interest to you. I visited several times when I lived in the East Midlands :)

https://westbridgfordwire.com/newark-ai ... niversary/
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Newark Air Museum

Post by 511Flyer »

An old RAF pal of mine went to the museum with a special interest in the Hastings. He asked if he could go inside, but request was refused because the instruments were said to be a health hazard.

He then told them that he, like myself, had been in and out of that type of aircraft almost every day for years. They did eventually allow him to go inside and do a walk round with a museum volunteer, who actually learned a great deal from him.

I don't know if they keep the F700, but if they do, they might find my signature in there.

I have to say that I suffered no ill effects from my service time, but I might set a geiger counter off.

:)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Have not been there for a number of years now and unfortunately will not be going for their anniversary either. As I use either a wheel chair or scooter there will be many attending and I honestly hate being in crowded places as either some-one backs into me or just turns in front of me!! :lol:

Shame really as used to enjoy my visits. The Hastings has now gone into the hanger for some TLC but no mention of the instruments being a health hazard though. I think at one time the Valiant was rumoured to have the same problem with it's instruments at another museum! *-)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

Many aircraft instruments have some radioactive paint in them. This was never a real issue while in service as the health issues were not recognised back then. Sometime in the 90s (I could be wrong here) this was recognised and many museums had to put restrictions in place to deal with potential hazards. At first these were blanket bans on entering cockpits but while some of these have been dialed back, in some cases the actual hazard is still unknown. For some types the instruments have been confirmed not to contain hazardous paint, for some situations the levels have been measured and found safe, in some cases there is no money available to go through this process or the information is just not available.

Many people are saying that it wasn't a problem back then, why should it be a problem now? Keep in mind that 'back then' cigarettes were sold with asbestos filters and they were marketed as being better for your health... :dunno:
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!