The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Silly Photoshop Subscription Demands

Post by Aharon »

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

I got new laptop and I have to buy editing softwares for creating beautiful screenshots. I cannot believe that Adobe stopped selling individual copies of whatever is newest version of Photoshop. My last version is CS5

Adobe wants annual subscription which is rip off because it is 120 bucks per year or 240 bucks per two years. The last price for upgrade version of Photoshop was 149 bucks for PERMANENT ownership of single copy of Photoshop.

How do all of you get Photoshop for your repaints and screenshots?? Do you use expensive annual subscription??

I own Paint Shop Pro Ultimate X2, X4, X6, and X9 versions BUT there are some important functions on Photoshop CS5 that I cannot find in any of my Paint Shop Pro Ultimate versions hence me needing to buy Photoshop CS6 for my new laptop for screenshot editing. I do NOT want subscription gimmick which is rip off and expensive scam.

Regards,

Aharon

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Silly Photoshop Subscription Demands

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Aharon,

Tbh I don’t use photoshop or anything for screenshots, but for any graphics work, Gimp is absolutely superb, its been around for 10 years or more and its completely free.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Like yourself, Aharon I refuse to use subscription software. I'm still using Photoshop CS5.1 and find it more than powerful enough for my needs. I also have GIMP , but do find it a bit 'clunky'. It is a very powerful programme and as Ben says, it's completely free. I've just downloaded the latest version, but being familiar with Photoshop, I find it hard to learn my way around. One feature that I really like in Photoshop, is under the 'Image' header, there is 'Auto Tone', 'Auto Colour' and 'Auto Contrast', which can dramatically improve photos. However I've not managed to find similar features in other image manipulation software.
There are other good pay ware photo editing programmes available, which are single purchase (i.e.don't require a subscription).

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

And there was me thinking that screenshots posted here were straight out of FS :$
Sounds like some are, some aren't.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Gimp can do pretty much anything Photoshop can do, but I just can't get on with it.
I do subscribe to Photoshop, as I used it heavily for textures, as well as photography editing. Strange thing is, Photoshop on it's own costs a shade under £20 per month, but if you go for the photography plan, you get Photoshop and Lightroom for only £10 per month. :dunno:
Dave G.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Airspeed wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 05:25
And there was me thinking that screenshots posted here were straight out of FS :$
Sounds like some are, some aren't.
Just to be clear, I don't use photo editing software on screenshots from FS, just photos. Here's an example of what the Photoshop auto features can do (A330 Voyager at Birmingham BHX/EGBB) -

Original -

Photoshop treated -

Sometimes, the effect can be much more dramatic than that.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Kevin,
Certainly gives it a lift :agree:

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Kevin Farnell wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 23:38
One feature that I really like in Photoshop, is under the 'Image' header, there is 'Auto Tone', 'Auto Colour' and 'Auto Contrast', which can dramatically improve photos.
Kevin
Yes, I use 'Auto Tone', 'Auto Colour' and 'Auto Contrast', too but they're also available in Photoshop Elements (PSE) which is available for a one off payment. I used to use the full-fat version many years ago but changed to PSE which meets all my needs for working with and repairing old photos for use at Tangmere. It seems to get to get more and more powerful every year as it inherits features and functions from the main Photoshop program - I've now started using it for for colourising old photos. If you know your way around Photoshop, you'll have no trouble with PSE but Adobe offer a free 30-day trial so you can check it has the features you need.

Two other programs available to buy for one-off payments that I've also used are Affinity Photo - available for about £70 in the UK - and On One Photo Raw. The latter seems to be more of a Lightroom alternative but again there's a free trial.

Best
Pete

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Thank all for your kind answers, suggestions, and tips
PeteP wrote:
01 May 2023, 08:31
Yes, I use 'Auto Tone', 'Auto Colour' and 'Auto Contrast', too but they're also available in Photoshop Elements (PSE) I used to use the full-fat version many years ago but changed to PSE which meets all my needs for working with It seems to get to get more and more powerful every year as it inherits features and functions from the main Photoshop program -
Can PSE accept all paint brushes, plug ins, and all add ons from Photoshop? Can PSE do realistic water reflections with or without ripples?
Kevin Farnell wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 23:38
I've also used are Affinity Photo - available for about £70 in the UK -
How is it?? Can Affinity pro version 2 accept all stuffs I mentioned above? Can Affinity do realistic water reflections with or without ripples?

To all, I do not think Gimp can do what photoshop CS 5.1 can do' I am trying to buy single upgrade copy of Photoshop CS 6.0. I use Photoshop CS 5.1 only for flight simming screenshots so it is too expensive to pay extorting fees of Phtoshop subscription.

I am exploring other image editing softwares in hope they have same functions that Photoshop CS 5.1 has.

This looks interesting to me as seen below:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

And I like those more as seen below:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/store/ ... g-brushes/

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/store/ ... d-brushes/

Regards,

Aharon

Regards,

Aharon

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Aharon wrote:
01 May 2023, 17:52
Can PSE accept all paint brushes, plug ins, and all add ons from Photoshop? Can PSE do realistic water reflections with or without ripples?
PSE can certainly accept Photoshop brushes and plugins but the best way to get this and your question about water reflections answered is to go to Adobe, download the free 30-day trial and try it for yourself.
Aharon wrote:
01 May 2023, 17:52
Can Affinity pro version 2 accept all stuffs I mentioned above? Can Affinity do realistic water reflections with or without ripples?
Again, the best way to find out is to download the program from Serif - they also have a 30-day trial period.
Pete