MS 2020 Default Bing Scenery

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

MS 2020 Default Bing Scenery

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just got round to asking this, I presently have Bing map default scenery and wonder which one you chaps use, is Google better?

If so where do I get it and also how to do it as well as what settings do I have to change? May be some time before I am able to get round to downloading it as have a lot on at the moment and may not get a chance for a week or two to be able to reply but any help, advice etc very welcome.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: MS 2020 Default Bing Scenery

Post by TSR2 »

Google isn’t supported Nigel and most of the addons actually break the sim.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Ben. :thumbsup:

Nigel.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

There is an app that blocks the Bing maps and streams the Google ones instead. There are free and paid versions, I think the paid one can stream from different sources, but I'm not sure. Not tried it myself, and have no intention of doing so. :lol: From what I've read, the results can be variable, just not worth the hassle IMHO.
Dave G.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave, thanks for your input, I have viewed a few You Tube videos and although some say Google is much better, I will stick with Bing. :thumbsup:

Nigel.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I've been using MSFS2020 Map Enhancement for some time now and it's superb. The difference is very noticeable in places.

It's a free tool with simple instructions of what you need to do to use it. Yes it has an option for paid maps but I tried them and didn't notice much if any of an improvement (around the UK anyway).

I'll take some screenshots around Duxford shortly using the new Bing maps (MSFS uses old Bing mapping) and Google Maps.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Ok here we go. These probably just show colour differences if anything, but when you fly around you notice details in Google Maps that aren't there with Bing.

First off, Duxford. I did play around with clouds a little bit which I should've left alone. I'll also add that I have an Nvidia Game Filter set up to adjust the awful colours used in MSFS. That was applied in all of the screenshots.

Bing Standard

Bing New

Google

Next up Dover. I set both time and weather to live and tried to position the aircraft as best I could to match the last shot.

Bing Standard

Bing New

Google

Google Maps looks more natural throughout. Microsoft use older Bing maps because they have been colour corrected and clearly (Duxford) the new ones haven't.
The landscape as a whole is more detailed with Google and it causes zero issues with the sim.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Tbh the more time you mess around with it, the more critical and dissatisfied you get. Just the same as with the older sims. It's just that the bar is raised higher now. Just looking at your shots from the phone the first picture looks the best !
Being a tubeliner It don't make much difference what the ground looks like as there's generally cloud in between.
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I have to admit that whilst using the default mapping in MS2020 sometimes the scenery looks to be a bit cartoonish but that is compared to Orbx Scenery in X-Plane 11 which I still use as have a number of aircraft that I do not want to ditch, but coming back to Bing vs Google I have also read from PMDG Forum that one of the tech guys stated that a number of users have had problems using Google, it had broken their planes!! But yet there is some good news here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bi ... t_number=3

Equally, I don't want to have to mess about trying to improve scenery in MS2020 but tried setting my screen graphics from 1920X1080 to 2580X1440 and higher to 2880X1620. Now this seemed (or rather I might be imagining it) that the scenery looked just a tad better!!?? :dunno: However, the downside to that was my graphics went from 70-80% all the way to 100% when increased!! Will it do any harm to run higher screen resolution vs 100% Graphics?

When flying I used Win+G for Nvidia Card. I could post screenshots but do not think it shows much difference.

Regards
Nigel.