Am I right or am I wrong?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Am I right or am I wrong?

Post by Nigel H-J »

Yesterday I received an e-mail from my anti-virus and firewall provider and have been with them for a few years however, the e-mail concerned my renewal next month and written something like your auto-renewal is due next month and you will be charged £54.99.

Going onto their web page it quoted the price for the of the security I would have had was not £54.99 but, wait for it, £20.99 :rant:

In previous years with them when coming towards renewal I have purchased the new one via their website at much lower price and in return have had an email from them to the effect that since I had purchased a new anti virus and firewall they had cancelled my auto renewal to avoid double payment. It appeared to me by their writing that they were not particularly happy about this. :poke:

This time I have not waited until next month but have deleted my account with them and also the last month of security. Surely if they are selling the platform for £30 less on their website it must be seen as bad customer relations to charge more to regular users? I could not find anything written that the lower price is for new customers only!! :dunno:

Anyway, I am now using Windows 11 Security and would like to know if any others are as well. Secondly, I am just going to wait until the company concerned e-mails me as to my deleting my account with them as I had written as to the reason for leaving is that I am only on low pension.

So, am I right in doing what I did or should I have just gone ahead and purchased another year of cover or rather 11 months as it will happen again and again. :doh:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Am I right or am I wrong?

Post by thehappyotter »

It's only my opinion Nigel, and I'm often wrong :lol: , but I haven't used anything other than Windows Defender since Win 10 was released. I've found it more than adequate.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Like Rob, I’ve used defender for years and have had no problems.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Same here, I've not had a problem with the built in Windows security since I started using it years ago, back with XP IIRC. Being integrated it doesn't hog resources like some AV software does, and isn't chock full of shiny features nobody ever uses twice.

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Rob, Ben and Tony, many thanks for your comments and I am definitely staying with Windows Security from now on which means that I will be better off for making the F28 purchase next week instead of having to fork out extra money for another year contract. :excited:

Many thanks again.

Regards
Nigel.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I use Bitdefender and have done for a few years now.

As I've always told people when they say they're happy with 'lesser' anti virus products, it's not going to alert you when something slips through, so don't presume that everything is ok.

As for the price of your existing subscription, I also got mine for less than a new customer would pay. :cheers:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

For windows 10 and above I have also have only used windows defender and have not had any problems, but I am usually also pretty careful. I have one old laptop I keep on windows 7 because I have a very old canon scanner where they never produced a driver for windows 10, and on that I put the free version of AVG anti virus. It sucks because it seams to bring the machine to a crawl but it is at least something.

Often with the 3rd party anti virus programs I have used in the past, there cure seams to be worse than the problem they are trying to fix.
You may ask yourself, “What is that beautiful house?”
You may ask yourself, “Where does that highway go to?”
And you may ask yourself, “Am I right? Am I wrong?”
And you may say to yourself, “My God! What have I done?”
Sorry I could not resist.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

You may ask yourself, “What is that beautiful house?”
You may ask yourself, “Where does that highway go to?”
And you may ask yourself, “Am I right? Am I wrong?”
And you may say to yourself, “My God! What have I done?”
:lol: :lol: Thanks Joe, that made me chuckle!! Like you, I once installed AVG free-ware on my old computer some years ago and wished that I had not bothered. Not only did my computer run as though it had been greased with treacle but I swear it gave me a virus :rant: so only thing to do was to format the bl**dy thing. :wall:

Regards
Nigel.