An "interesting" Few Years

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

PaulC
VC10
VC10

An "interesting" Few Years

Post by PaulC »

Hello all,

Many of you followed my journey whilst I was training towards my CPL having left the police, and this came to a fairly blunt end as 3 days after getting my CPL ME/IR in my hot little hand, the covid lockdowns started. Obviously this made any chance of employment impossible, despite my best efforts, and I found myself unemployed, and, I'll be honest, rather panicky!

I was previously West Yorkshire, but North Yorkshire Police advertised for rejoiners direct back to Traffic, so I took this, starting in the following November. I was allowed to keep all my service levels and qualifications and fortunately within a year was promoted to Sergeant and got my own traffic team. I'm now driving a desk as the Staff Officer to the Deputy Chief Constable, and acting up as Inspector for York when they need cover. (Stay away from York!)

I went off flight sims, couldn't ge myslef motovted to get back into it until recently and remembered my old mates back here. I sorted myself with MSFS got the 146 and away I went.

I missed you lot, and I'm glad to be back on the forums and in the air for the VA when time allows (I still live in West so its a 1:20 commute each way to NY HQ) and I've got command of my old Air Cadet Squadron again so time is short but it's all worth it.

Glad to see the old names again, and some fresh ones.

Thanks for having me back.

Paul

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: An "interesting" Few Years

Post by DaveG »

Welcome back Paul, great to see you here again. :cheers:
Must have been a very traumatic time for you, full of uncertainties, but it sounds like things are doing OK now.
Dave G.

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

Welcome back. Some things just don't work out but at least you gave it a go. I'm currently seconded to your old force, WYP, and recently got through the recruitment to become a trainee train driver but bottled it when I worked out how much I'd lose in pension between my current planned retirement age and 67, when I'd be able to get at it if I left. Credit to you for giving it a go!

Hope your new role works out well for you. I would make jokes about a staff officer being a nice cushy job but then I can hardly talk! :lol: :lol:

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Do an MEP/IR renewal, airlines are now looking for pilots!
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Just remember there is nothing worse than going through life saying 'If only'. Always follow your dreams as you only get one chance at life.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I went off flight sims, couldn't ge myslef motovted to get back into it until recently and remembered my old mates back here. I sorted myself with MSFS got the 146 and away I went.
That is totally understandable after all the hard work you went through to gain your CPL and then find, through no fault of your own, Covid put a block on your future. Unfortunately no-one can dictate the path that we take in life but one thing is for sure, you picked up the baton (no pun intended) :lol: and moved on, now take a step back and look at what you have done and achieved since re-joining the police.

You have overcome disappointment though you may still feel saddened how fate has dealt a blow to your intended future but what you do have is a secure professional job and obviously not only worked hard on your return but also impressed your seniors to get where you are today. :thumbsup:

Not in the same vein but I could no longer work driving HGV's as the DVLA Medical ruled that I could no longer drive heavy goods after an RTC left me with serious injury to my right leg (no fault of my own) so it took me six years that included six operations and a year in physiotherapy before I found a job that I really enjoyed (C.C.T.V.) but I do still miss driving HGV's and lost out (big time) on what would have been a good pension.

Pleased to see you back here and look forward to your posts when you get the chance.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.