Question About Nimod Please

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Question About Nimod Please

Post by Aharon »

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

I just discovered interesting freeware Nimod package offered by Simshed and it looks interesting!!

I have one question about Nimod please. Did Nimod have any combat action in Fakland war and in two Gulf wars?

Regards,

Aharon

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Question About Nimod Please

Post by Vc Ten »

Although the primary role for the Hawker Siddeley Nimrod (hs 801) was ASW (anti submarine warfare) the aircraft saw service in all theatres until its withdrawal in 2010. Yes the Nimrod holds the record for the longest flight during the Falklands nearly 8500 miles. Also with in flight refueling one sortie, XV232 stayed aloft for over 19hrs.
There's lots of info out there Aharon. The Nimrod was a very capable aircraft. I see a historic re enactment of Nimrod supporting the Black buck Vulcans :thumbsup:
Dale
Image Image Image

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Thanks VC Ten and Motormouse for answers.

Internet search reveals that Nimrods did participate in few combat actions including Falkland War and Gulf Wars as well as Afghanistan and Iraq wars. It also participated in most bizarre combat action called Icelandic Cod Wars of 1972 and 1975–1976.

Vc Ten wrote:
11 Aug 2023, 21:09
I see a historic re enactment of Nimrod supporting the Black buck Vulcans :thumbsup:
Where???

Speaking of Simshed Nimrod model bases, is the owner of Simshed company still around here on those forums in event of technical support needed?? I might want to try to install the Nimrod package but am afraid to do so without seeing any existence of technical support.

Regards,

Aharon

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Aharon,

As I've mentioned, SimShed is no more. It has ceased to be. While the members here will happily help if we can, no formal SimShed support is offered by their previous members. :cpu:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

TSR2,

Thanks for answer.

Would you or anybody have any idea where are the major British air force bases for Nimrods, please and if there would be any freeware or payware FSX sceneries for the major air force base homes for Nimrods, please??

Sorry if I am asking too much questions.

Regards,

Aharon

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Don’t worry about asking questions, its the best way to learn.

I think (and those that know better can correct me) the original Nimrods were built at the former DeHavilland factory at Hatfield and they would have been seen there. There was a Hatfield for FS9, possibly on AVSIM.

In RAF service they operated from the bases RAF St Mawgan, RAF Waddington, RAF Luga (Malta), RAF Wyton and RAF Kinloss.
All of these were at one time made for FS9 and possibly upgraded to FSX. I’m pretty sure Kinloss was part of the Scotflight scenery RAF collection, which I think is now freeware, but if you check at AVSIM and flightsim.com and search you should find them. I think there were regular detachments to Cyprus too, and I think I remember yhem at RAF Machrihanish.

ImageImageImage

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

You forgot Gibraltar, Goose Bay and Kai Tak as well; and the 51 Sqn " shh we don't talk about them" R1 variants of Wyton

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

A girl I used to work with’s father was a Nav on the sneaky beaky R1’s

ImageImageImage

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

There are also complete and partial Nimrod airframes at various locations around the country. I volunteer at Manchester airport looking after XV231 and tours are available around the aircraft. If you get to Scotland Moravia at Kinloss is a good visit with an enormous amount of local Nimrod expertise resident at the museum.

If you have any difficulty with the Nimrod package for FSX just contact me I'll help wherever I can but yes, as mentioned earlier Simshed is no more (at the moment). I am researching MSFS2020 development at the moment and using the Nimrod as a learning project.

Brian Franklin