Dreaded GPU Error Crash - Anomaly

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Dreaded GPU Error Crash - Anomaly

Post by chrispbits »

Pretty much since MSFS came out I've had regular crashes, which recently morphed into the infamous there's a problem with your graphics device crash. It's one of the few things in life that I can absolutely rely on. Here's the thing though - fly anywhere around Europe - crash within 5 - 10 mins, Sri Lanka - inside 5 mins, Antarctica! - 5 mins, New York - nada, nothing - I seem to be able to fly until the fuel runs out. Now this is not what you would expect if this was purely a graphics card problem - it seems the heavier the load the better. Bizarre or what.

Is anyone else experiencing these so-called graphics crashes and if yes could you have a poodle around NY to see what happens to you?

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Dreaded GPU Error Crash - Anomaly

Post by TSR2 »

The only times I've had card errors, it was down to the Driver (DaveG will bare testament to that as I was testing the hunter at the time). other than that, it's usually one of the following:-

1. Clear the Windows Shader cache and reboot. This isn't a Sim specific thing, but part of the OS which the SIM is sensitive to, especially after graphics driver updates or rollbacks. A reboot afterwards is advisable.

2. The In SIm rolling cache. If you start having problems, delete it, and then recreate it.

3. A conflicting or troublesome addon in the community folder.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Thanks for that Ben. I deleted Windows Shader cache and noted an immediate improvement in run time durations. Also discovered that the TBM really does not like Wattisham (or vice versa) and both are the standard off-the-shelf versions. Get the TBM within sniffing distance of Wattisham and crash. Tried with the Robin and a Harrier and no problem with either. It could be the TBM but I've also had crashes with others such as the JF Hawk. More experimenting to do me thinks.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I had a spell of this when testing the dingle seat Hunter for Dave at the end of last year. For me I thought it was the TACAN. at the time, and now I can’t remember what it turned out to be. One thing thats definitely very impactful is Nvidia drivers. They can be flaky as hell. If you get one that works, stick with it.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage