Puzzlement Over Trim Functions for BAC1-11s

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Puzzlement Over Trim Functions for BAC1-11s

Post by Aharon »

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

By miracle, after making many many flights with David Mantly BAC 1-11s using FSX default 738 panel, I decided and managed to install realistic VC cockpit panel for all variants of David Mantly BAC 1-11 model base and the gauges as well as all functions of the VC cockpit panel work well during ground testing.

What puzzles me is that I see TWO trim functions on the cockpit panel of BAC 1-11s. According to the manual books, the tail trim must be set to 3.0 for take off but MADE no mention of setting regular trim via trim wheel on the throttle panel. Am I supposed to use regular trim in addition to tail trim or am I supposed to skip the regular trim??? :dunno: :dunno:

Please advise as I do not see any instructions for normal trim in the manual books for that freeware model base. :help: :help:

Thank you for any answer any of you might provide.

Regards,

Aharon

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Puzzlement Over Trim Functions for BAC1-11s

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Aharon,

What do you mean “regular trim”?

Elevator trim (using the trim wheel) should be set at 3 degrees. No other trim should be used on take off under normal circumstances.

For clarity, there can be 3 types of trim on any aircraft. Elevator trim (often using a “trim wheel”) for pitch.
Aileron trim (not fitted on many aircraft) for roll.
Rudder trim for yaw.

In most circumstances, for takeoff we are concerned with pitch, so elevator trim is the important aspect.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

TSR2 wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 07:33
What do you mean “regular trim”?
In real BAC 1-11 cockpit panel on David Mantly BAC 1-11, I see two different trims. One is that I have to use this gauge called tail trim as seen on the screenshot Image to set 3.0 degree.

The other one is the trim wheel I am talking about as seen and indicated NUMBER FOUR on the screenshot
Image.

I was asking if I was supposed to set the trim too on that trim wheel on throttle panel.

Regards,

Aharon

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Aharon, it is ages since I last flew the BAC1-11 but if memory serves me right I believe number 4 is rudder trim and one below is aileron trim or could be vice versa! :$

Hope this helps.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Nigel H-J wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 20:09
it is ages since I last flew the BAC1-11 but if memory serves me right I believe number 4 is rudder trim and one below is aileron trim or could be vice versa! :$
I am referring number 4 to elevator trim wheel. Sorry if my previous posts might be confusing to you or anyone. I finally found the name and it is called elevator trim wheel.

Now back to my original question: am I supposed to touch or use elevator trim wheel or leave it alone and focus on making sure the tail trim gauge is set to 3.0?????

Regards,

Aharon

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Tail Trim and Elevator trim are the same thing Aharon. Adust the wheel until it registers 3 degrees on the gauge. 😊👍
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

TSR2 wrote:
14 Sep 2023, 07:42
Tail Trim and Elevator trim are the same thing Aharon. Adust the wheel until it registers 3 degrees on the gauge. 😊👍
Ohhhh so I can skip the elevator trim wheel since the tail trim gauge set at 3.0 degree does the same job for elevator trim wheel.

Thanks,

Aharon

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Aharon : I think you are becoming confused between function and gauge : the trim wheel controls the setting of the tailplane for purposes of trim. The gauge shows what setting you have achieved by moving the trim wheel

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

cstorey wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 09:43
Aharon : I think you are becoming confused between function and gauge : the trim wheel controls the setting of the tailplane for purposes of trim. The gauge shows what setting you have achieved by moving the trim wheel
Yes I understand what you are trying to say BUT the problem is that in David Mantly BAC 1-11 model base, according to HJG manual, I need to click on the left side of the gauge for more nose up trim or click on the right side of the gauge for more nose down trim to achieve required three degree for take off. The HJG manual made no mention that I can use the trim wheel to achieve the required 3 degree. I always use trim wheel in all other model bases but never knew that the trim wheel in David Mantly BAC 1-11 model base is functional.

Regards,

Aharon

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Aharon wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 16:58
David Mantly BAC 1-11 model
It's David Maltby by the way
Dale