Navigating the Vulcan

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Navigating the Vulcan

Post by Nigel H-J »

I don't know about you chaps but I have found navigating the Vulcan to be a strain on me brain!! :wall: Trying to work out TACAN and how to use it as well as navigating in the Vulcan and setting the modes correctly really threw me until finding this video. I find watching a video and seeing how it works is a lot easier than going through the manual and I am sure it is listed somewhere in the manual but after watching this video made it much clearer to me.

You guys unlike moi, will probably have no problem with navigating the Vulcan but just in case!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnhzO36hgPo

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Navigating the Vulcan

Post by Vc Ten »

Very informative video Nigel. I know all about Tacan now :lol:
I'm tempted to buy the aircraft. I do love the Vulcan, happy memory's from the past. But it doesn't suit my style of simming (tubeliners, VA blah blah). Hope to see some screenshots to help me change my mind.
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Very informative video Nigel. I know all about Tacan now :lol:
I'm tempted to buy the aircraft. I do love the Vulcan, happy memory's from the past. But it doesn't suit my style of simming (tubeliners, VA blah blah). Hope to see some screenshots to help me change my mind.
Dale
Hi Dale, I know what you mean regarding the Vulcan as I used to refuel them sometimes and never forgotten the story of one Vulcan being defueled in preparation of going into the hanger for a service. They started to defuel from the front instead of the rear fuel tanks and eventually there was a panic as the Vulcan front wheel left the ground and the tail strike the ground!!! :wall:

I was wondering whether or not I should take the plunge as I really would like the PMDG DC6 but in the end it all came down to price and all the videos I watched. Still going through the start and have flown her, getting to like it very much especially now I have a list of all TACANS, makes navigating much better.

Any-one interested here is the link to all RAF / Airport Navaids 2 pages and VOR's across England
https://www.pilotnav.com/browse/Navaids ... %20KINGDOM

Regards
Nigel.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

First flight in the Vulcan Nigel (well first successful one anyway). It's quite impressive isn't it; easily the best of the simulated Vulcans to date.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

First flight in the Vulcan Nigel (well first successful one anyway). It's quite impressive isn't it; easily the best of the simulated Vulcans to date.
Hi Chris, good to hear that you are enjoying it, From having read about the Vulcan and when at Scampton they hardly used the brake parachute on landings probably preferring only to use it for practice or actual brake failure. When I was out on the airfield the pilots tended to, after touchdown, raise the nose which increased aerodynamic drag due to the delta shape of the aircraft and some kept the nose up for quite some time, it was amazing at how slow they could keep it up though around 90 kts but due to the Vulcans size it looked a lot slower.

Regards
Nigel.