The Shepherd

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

The Shepherd

Post by simondix »

Watched 'The Shepherd' on Disney+ the other night. Not bad at all.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Re: The Shepherd

Post by Swanoir »

Just watched it. It’s based on a ‘true’ story. I remember reading about this in a ghost book when I was young. Lovely to see a Vampire and Mosquito taking centre stage, with a cheeky little cameo from a Hunter in the background. Also some external shots of the officer’s club at Scampton being repurposed for the one in the story. As an aviation nerd there were so, so many inaccuracies…But in the spirit of Christmas, I actually really enjoyed it it as a good old ripping yarn!

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Swanoir wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 19:16
Just watched it. It’s based on a ‘true’ story. I remember reading about this in a ghost book when I was young. Lovely to see a Vampire and Mosquito taking centre stage, with a cheeky little cameo from a Hunter in the background. Also some external shots of the officer’s club at Scampton being repurposed for the one in the story. As an aviation nerd there were so, so many inaccuracies…But in the spirit of Christmas, I actually really enjoyed it it as a good old ripping yarn!
erm, not exactly, was filmed at West Raynham (not Scampton) ; the story was fiction but semi autobiographical being based on stories (tales?) Frederick Forsyth heard while serving in RAF (Pilot Officer, DH Vampire squadron according to wiki) ....

Before becoming a journalist, Forsyth completed his National Service in the Royal Air Force as a pilot, for which he flew the de Havilland Vampire.[4][5] He joined Reuters in 1961 and in 1965 the BBC, for which he served as an assistant diplomatic correspondent.

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Post by robcarrich »

I really enjoyed it.
The vampire in the film had me wondering though, it looked like the real thing.
I did not recognise him at first but it was John Travolta supposedly flying the Mosquito, I know he owned a Vampire at one time which he sold and it was then written off.
A good ghost story for Christmas.

Rob

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Haven’t seen the film but I remember reading the book several years ago ( one of his shorter books IIRC). I got to see him a few years back at the Edinburgh book festival where he was promoting his autobiography. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Motormouse wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 21:19
Swanoir wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 19:16
My mistake, it is identical to the one at Scampton though, with the arches above the entrance. I assume it was probably a standard layout back then on a lot of RAF bases.

erm, not exactly, was filmed at West Raynham (not Scampton) ; the story was fiction but semi autobiographical being based on stories (tales?) Frederick Forsyth heard while serving in RAF (Pilot Officer, DH Vampire squadron according to wiki) ....

Before becoming a journalist, Forsyth completed his National Service in the Royal Air Force as a pilot, for which he flew the de Havilland Vampire.[4][5] He joined Reuters in 1961 and in 1965 the BBC, for which he served as an assistant diplomatic correspondent.

ttfn

Pete

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Swanoir wrote:

My mistake, it is identical to the one at Scampton though, with the arches above the entrance. I assume it was probably a standard layout back then on a lot of RAF bases.

Yes, a little known fact, all the buildings on expansion era (aka 1938 pattern, being the year most were completed by) airbases were based on a set of standard architectural patterns / designs drawn up by Royal Academy of Fine Art..the oddball amongst these was the apprentice school at Halton..there the officers mess was Halton House, one time home to the Rothschild family

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I must be the odd one out. I watched it having said to a few friends about it and then told them it was 40 minutes of my life I won't get back.
It was nothing short of awful. :hide:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.