Our Uuniverse and Beyond

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Our Uuniverse and Beyond

Post by Nigel H-J »

Could not take my eyes of these pictures from the James Webb Telescope. Absolutely brilliant and really makes you think if space is unending.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/id ... 5df138b6f6

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Our Uuniverse and Beyond

Post by Tomliner »

Absolutely stunning.The distances and scales are almost beyond imaginaton and it’s difficult not to feel humbled by them. *-) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Light years here and there, colours and shapes beyond our imagination :excited:
Mrs Airspeed is always showing me close-ups of insects and spiders. The real thing makes sci-fi creatures look rather ordinary.

Further into Nigel's link, there's rhis:
Warning

This repo contains weights that are compatible with vLLM serving of the model as well as Hugging Face transformers library. It is based on the original Mixtral torrent release, but the file format and parameter names are different.
Please note that model cannot (yet) be instantiated with HF.
:dunno:

All of the above gives humans, especially us "ordinary" ones, a sense of perspective.
Thank you for sharing that link, Nigel :thumbsup:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Following this viewing, we watched a TV presentation by Professor Brian Cox at the Sydney Opera House.
Amongst other observations, one was along the lines of:
Humans are tiny inhabitants of an insignificant planet in a small solar system in an average sized galaxy, one of hundreds of billions in our universe, which may actually be one of an unknown number of multiverses. There are the basics of life-forming spread throughout. To the best of our knowledge, it takes billions of years for single cell life to develop into intelligent beings. The short story is that we may well currently be the only form of life that has the intelligence to give the Universe any kind of meaning. That places a huge responsibility upon us.
Definitely worth a thought. So why do we fight one another, and pollute the only reachable place that supports our form of life?

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Following this viewing, we watched a TV presentation by Professor Brian Cox at the Sydney Opera House.
Amongst other observations, one was along the lines of:
Humans are tiny inhabitants of an insignificant planet in a small solar system in an average sized galaxy, one of hundreds of billions in our universe, which may actually be one of an unknown number of multiverses. There are the basics of life-forming spread throughout. To the best of our knowledge, it takes billions of years for single cell life to develop into intelligent beings. The short story is that we may well currently be the only form of life that has the intelligence to give the Universe any kind of meaning. That places a huge responsibility upon us.
So what’s he saying then? :hide:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

There are the basics of life-forming spread throughout. To the best of our knowledge, it takes billions of years for single cell life to develop into intelligent beings.
Unfortunately I'm not quite there yet :S

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Eric,
I'm glad you asked. Briefly, it's all Eric's fault :lol:
The scientists suggest that the entire Universe was compressed into the size of an atom, space and time expanded, resulting in that atom-sized mass to explode. No wonder they call it the Big bang :-O
.... and I think that the Aboriginals, whose history spans over 60,000 years on Australian soil (OK, it wasn't called Australia back then), would wonder where in fact they were living way back:
Concerning the age of the Earth, the Bible's genealogical records combined with the Genesis 1 account of creation are used to estimate an age for the Earth and universe of about 6000 years, with a bit of uncertainty on the completeness of the genealogical records, allowing for a few thousand years more.

No politics or religion allowed here, I'm just commenting on stuff.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

I'm glad you asked. Briefly, it's all Eric's fault :lol:
How very dare you? You can’t pin that one on me guv. I never created this or any other universe! It’s that Nigel geezer wot started all this, As for Jim Webb he should have stuck to song writing and never have bought a telescope. :agree:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Eric- :lol: :lol:

BTW, those "Photos":
But JWST is an infrared (IR) telescope, meaning that it is not seeing what the human eye sees. In fact, JWST is detecting what we feel as ‘heat’, just like night-vision goggles, and the JWST images are just a representation of its view in optical light. So, the colours in the JWST image are not real – they are not what your eye would see.

The colours, however, do represent something real — the variation in brightness with wavelength. Essentially,theJWST takes up to 29 greyscale images, each through a different filter which only passes IR light of a certain wavelength.

The separate images are then assigned a colour; the longest wavelength is ‘red’ and the shortest ‘blue’, with the others in between. The ‘colour’ imageis then formed from combining the separate filter images.

In effect, the JWST’s images are shifted up the electromagnetic spectrum from a part we can’t see (IR) into the part we can see (optical).

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Airspeed wrote:
03 Jan 2024, 10:14

... images are shifted up the electromagnetic spectrum from a part we can’t see (IR) into the part we can see (optical).[/color]

Shouldn't we leave, what we can't see, alone ?.. Maybe it and whatever may be in it. don't like having their picture taken.
.. maybe they have laws against taking pictures of them/it. -
or perhaps there are intergalactic intermeddler laws we aren't even aware of.

We could have already screwed up any chance of them/it coming 8 billion light years away for Tea . or a Fosters, Or a sodie pop. .. :dunno: quart of oil?..

:worried: