Auster AOP.9

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

briwith
Viscount
Viscount

Post by briwith »

Hi Dave,

I might have guessed! :lol: :lol:

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the info on the lights. I'll suppress them so that they don't show but anyone who wants them for a more modern look can resurrect them fairly easily. Standing by for your verdict on the dihedral effect. I know DB will be too! :wink:

Regards,

Brian

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Might ask some of the owners tomorrow for their opinions, if I go flying. But its a bit of a trek and I try to limit my visits to every two weeks, so we might have to wait a while for their verdicts.

They were all so interested in seeing screenshots, but none of them have FS2004 so are unable to give their comments. Might have to lug the PC up to deep darkest Devon. What dedication to the world of aviation I have!!

Martin

briwith
Viscount
Viscount

Post by briwith »

No worries Martin :smile: I am sure the answer can wait.

I have a fellow ex-pilot with some Auster experience staying with me at the weekend so I will pick his brains as well :wink:

In the meantime, I will knock up an effects file that makes the smoke come out of the exhaust pipe on start-up - rather than from all over the cowling :smile:

ATB,

Brian

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

briwith wrote:No worries Martin :smile: I am sure the answer can wait.

I have a fellow ex-pilot with some Auster experience staying with me at the weekend so I will pick his brains as well :wink:

In the meantime, I will knock up an effects file that makes the smoke come out of the exhaust pipe on start-up - rather than from all over the cowling :smile:

ATB,

Brian
Thats a very good Auster trait.....lots of smoke! :)

Martin

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

briwith wrote:Hi Martin,

Thanks for the comments on my files. I am glad that you like the result :smile: :smile: I would appreciate a comment on the tendency for her to be self-leveling in roll - ie: dihedral effect - I think (from a bit of Auster flying about 40 years ago) that there may still be a bit too much.

Brian
Went flying on Saturday and had a word with the other gentleman about the dihedral effect and they and myself having tried it out for real, think that we are now have is a worthy replica of the real thing. The 9 is a completely different machine than any other Auster and so it would be difficult to make a comparison between this and say a J1. I always wanted to fly an Auster since I was a kid (must have fallen out of bed the wrong side!) and when I did, I was quite disappointed in its handling qualities - its all rudder and very little aileron. And the 9 is well, a lot better, a nice aeroplane to pole around the sky.

Only weird thing about it and one that probably could never be replicated on the sim, is that sometimes and I must stress this, the starboard wing has a tendancy to lift upon landing. It doesnt have to be in a crosswind, it can occur in virtually non existent wind conditions, but the wing will suddenly lift without warning almost to the point of the port one making contact with the ground. This is the main reason why they have not been granted full C of As and are operated on a permit instead. No one from either Auster or the services has ever managed to work out why the 9 did it. Weird or what.

Best wishes,

Martin

I'm afraid to say that your services may be required again as am at the moment testing another Ito product and am having a few problems in slowing the thing down. Cant say anything at the moment, as it needs a bit of a rebuild, as references have been a little hard to find in Japan and a few points including its canopy and wings have to be rectified. This is in hand as a package is going out to Japan this week together with a few plans of other aeroplanes of which I hope Mr.Ito might find interesting (rest assured that are all British of course!).

M

briwith
Viscount
Viscount

Post by briwith »

Hi Martin,

I had a chat with my friend at the weekend and we decided that the dihedral effect was a touch too strong so I have reduced it a bit. Our over-riding memory of the Austers we flew was the large amount of adverse yaw encountered. As you say, all rudder.

I had a look at ways to get an occasional wing drop/rise on landing but didn't have much success. Anyway, the only way I could do it is to add a roll moment just before the stall and this would be there on every landing if you went for a 3-pointer. If the Services and Austers can't sort it out, I probably can't simulate it!

The fully modified files are here:

http://www.cbfsim.org/~brianw/AOP9_Mod.zip

Finally, I am intrigued by your postscript. If its British and piston engined I may be able to help :smile:

ATB for now,

Brian

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Thank you gentlemen
Now I understand why the thing felt a little too good - I spoke with my older brother who flew most of his PPL on Austers - who echo'd both of
your observations that the J1 series were rudder aircraft - apprently
a trait that was learnt and solved in the aop9 and corrected in the
Terrier

Leif

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

briwith wrote:Hi Martin,

I had a chat with my friend at the weekend and we decided that the dihedral effect was a touch too strong so I have reduced it a bit. Our over-riding memory of the Austers we flew was the large amount of adverse yaw encountered. As you say, all rudder.

I had a look at ways to get an occasional wing drop/rise on landing but didn't have much success. Anyway, the only way I could do it is to add a roll moment just before the stall and this would be there on every landing if you went for a 3-pointer. If the Services and Austers can't sort it out, I probably can't simulate it!

Finally, I am intrigued by your postscript. If its British and piston engined I may be able to help :smile:

Brian
Brian,

Glad that you managed to tweak the file again. Am very thankful for you taking the time to do this. This must have to be the most accurate Ito model there is available....so far!!

The 9 is unlike all the other Auster variants I have managed to experience and is a nice aeroplane to fly, cept for that wingdrop of which I have yet to encounter. Of course one day in the future it will happen, much like the dreaded Harvard groundloop, which I have been unlucky enough to have discovered in the past. Never thought that this could be replicated in the sim - so if possible could you just tweak the model for me, so that I can try and allievate the problem if it so arises (sorry) in the future?

I cant go much into the latest aeroplane to roll off his production line, but it needs a lot of work to be worthy of release. A packet is going out tomorrow to Japan with photos, colourschemes and PNs together with details of another 16 immediate Postwar Types, just for interest sake of course!!

Best wishes to all,

Martin

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Found a few pennies in my pocket today, so said package has been sent to Japan as we speak.

Besides the plans and all that for 'the' aeroplane, also sent a few tasters in the form of things like the Spiteful/Seafang, Welkin, Dumbo, Seamew, Miles M20, Firecrest, Sea Otter, Balliol, Monitor, Spearfish etc etc and a Pilatus P.2! :) Who knows what we might see in the future.....

Martin

briwith
Viscount
Viscount

Post by briwith »

Hi Martin,

I will take another look at the wing drop/rise issue but I can't promise anything. I was having a bit of trouble managing the stall characteristics so it might not be as simple as I first thought :think:

I will be interested to see the results of your liaison with Mr Ito although I wish he would get the smoothing sorted out on his models' control surfaces. He does great work but I do hate shadow effects on his ailerons, etc. I am surprised that one of our home-grown modellers isn't interested in some of the types on your "shopping list".

Regards,

Brian