Auster AOP.9

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

DaveB wrote:There's something wrong with your stick then Leif!! :lol:

Rgr that Brian. I'm waiting for Martin to throw some shots together and may have a go at a panel for it.. depending on what I get. We have a suitable selection of gauges from our other Brits in the fleet to give it a more authentic look so I don't envisage anything fancy :wink: We'll see :smile:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
I'm sorry that I wont be able to come up with anything concrete until Friday at the earliest as have too many committments away from the PC over the next couple of days.

I read with interest the comments as to the new performance figures and am pleased that they are now more like the real thing. But the question is, 'what is real?'. The PNs and all quoted figures in various publications relate to brand new airframes, whilst the ones we are lucky enough to fly in today are quite frankly tired old aeroplanes. If Brian's example manages 1000' a minute compared to XR240's 900', then I can really see no change is required. For the airtests, we load the aeroplane to its all up weight - full of fuel and with a willing volunteer in the back, so if the aeroplane was used operationally I would have thought she would be a little better and with age too brought into the matter, speed and performance would be better too.

I'll sift through the photos and send on as planned, but reading through the original copyright file, Mr Ito states that he holds the copyright for the panel. This I sort of believe, but where do I come in with the original photos and thus as a result can the panel be amended.

I am as we speak getting hold of photos, plans and PNs for sending onto Japan for future projects (one of which I'm beta testing) - all British of course!!

Thanks for all your assistance.

Martin

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Martin,

I'm sure that is what Brian was getting at when he mentioned the 9's performance :wink:

With regard to any possible 'new' panel, it would be made from photographs and would not contain any elements of Mr Ito's work. Copyrighting should not be a problem with panels made from the same photograph as you hold the copyright for the photo. However, if you are unhappy about any possible hassle this could cause between yourself and Mr Ito (fully understood btw), I am more than happy to mod the existing one for my own use using my own gauges :wink: No hurry with anything anyway :wink:

Regards

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

DaveB wrote:Hi Martin,

I'm sure that is what Brian was getting at when he mentioned the 9's performance :wink:

With regard to any possible 'new' panel, it would be made from photographs and would not contain any elements of Mr Ito's work. Copyrighting should not be a problem with panels made from the same photograph as you hold the copyright for the photo. However, if you are unhappy about any possible hassle this could cause between yourself and Mr Ito (fully understood btw), I am more than happy to mod the existing one for my own use using my own gauges :wink: No hurry with anything anyway :wink:

Regards

I cant see why you cant do as you suggest and build something for yourself or a few close friends on the quiet, but as a general release, I'm not that sure unless you gain the proper permission. I was quite happy with what he had done in the past as it did reflect to an extent the real thing (as they are today - without all that heavy radio gear), but any improvements would be nice to see. I leave it to you.

But hey I havent even had the time to sit down and look at my snaps, so we cant do anything about it, until I get my posterior into gear. Will take a look at them tonight and hopefully as promised send on, on Friday.

Best wishes to all,

Martin

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

<--looking at stick - Yep theres something wrong with it - its too old -
I was comparing the ROC with what Martin had written up is all - she really
is a loverly old girl - I have flown J1Ns in a previous life and its as close to
that as MSFS is going to give you - as to the panel - A throttle quadrant would be a nice addition - and I keep reaching above my head wanting to trim the bugger :roll: As we have discussed on the forum many time Ito-San is to commended for the missing holes in British Aviation History he has filled

Leif

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

briwith wrote:Hi Dave,

I said it was WIP :smile: I think high wing aircraft can have a bit more of the dreaded dihedral effect - lets see what Martin has to say :wink:

Regards,

Brian W
Well I dragged myself away from everything else that I was meant to be doing last night and took the 9 from Plymouth down to St Mawgan and then onto Culdrose.

I am very pleased with what has been done - its very much like the real thing now. Well done. Cant really find anything at fault and like the fullsize machine its a joy to fly. Figures are as close to the actual known performance that we know today and well, thats it I cant really add anything else to what you have done Brian. Thank you very much.

Only minor alteration if possible is the deletion of the strobe under the fuselage and on the tops of the wing. Those round covers are the fuel caps.

As its been mentioned before, it is crying out for a VC, but I suppose this would mean a totally new airframe (see I know nothing about flightsims, do I?). Will get around to sorting out those photos, but cant tonight as have to go on a works meal and probably wont be home until late.

Again thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Martin

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

<--was being very polite about the "two red strobes" :roll: I just kept everything except the nav lights OFF as it got darker the other evening
Martin maybe you could gently mention it to Ito-san I think there is
more a problem with recognition than anything else there
dumb question - didnt the 9 have a wind generator???

Leif

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

DispatchDragon wrote:<--was being very polite about the "two red strobes" :roll: I just kept everything except the nav lights OFF as it got darker the other evening
Martin maybe you could gently mention it to Ito-san I think there is
more a problem with recognition than anything else there
dumb question - didnt the 9 have a wind generator???

Leif

No wind generator on the 9, I'm afraid.

Martin

briwith
Viscount
Viscount

Post by briwith »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the comments on my files. I am glad that you like the result :smile: :smile: I would appreciate a comment on the tendency for her to be self-leveling in roll - ie: dihedral effect - I think (from a bit of Auster flying about 40 years ago) that there may still be a bit too much.

I can easily remove the beacons and strobes from the wings and under the fuselage. Do the 9s currently have any beacon/strobe lights fitted? If you can tell me where, I will amend the positions.

ATB for now,

Brian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Brian wrote:
I would appreciate a comment on the tendency for her to be self-leveling in roll - ie: dihedral effect - I think (from a bit of Auster flying about 40 years ago) that there may still be a bit too much.
Ah.. now we're talking Brian!! :lol: If it's accurate as-is.. fine but take it out and send me the fix anyway :wink: :rock: :drinkers: :whistle:

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

briwith wrote:Hi Martin,

Thanks for the comments on my files. I am glad that you like the result :smile: :smile: I would appreciate a comment on the tendency for her to be self-leveling in roll - ie: dihedral effect - I think (from a bit of Auster flying about 40 years ago) that there may still be a bit too much.

I can easily remove the beacons and strobes from the wings and under the fuselage. Do the 9s currently have any beacon/strobe lights fitted? If you can tell me where, I will amend the positions.

ATB for now,

Brian
No, its thank you. Didnt really notice that much out of the ordinary the other day, but now its given me an excuse to fire up the PC and have another look. Need an excuse to try out some self made AI Traffic so might have a go tonight.

9 is a strobe and beacon free aeroplane, cept the tail and navigation lights as per standard.

Martin