Auster AOP.9

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

T6flyer wrote:
briwith wrote:Hi Martin,

Thanks for the comments on my files. I am glad that you like the result :smile: :smile: I would appreciate a comment on the tendency for her to be self-leveling in roll - ie: dihedral effect - I think (from a bit of Auster flying about 40 years ago) that there may still be a bit too much.

Brian
Went flying on Saturday and had a word with the other gentleman about the dihedral effect and they and myself having tried it out for real, think that we are now have is a worthy replica of the real thing. The 9 is a completely different machine than any other Auster and so it would be difficult to make a comparison between this and say a J1. I always wanted to fly an Auster since I was a kid (must have fallen out of bed the wrong side!) and when I did, I was quite disappointed in its handling qualities - its all rudder and very little aileron. And the 9 is well, a lot better, a nice aeroplane to pole around the sky.

Only weird thing about it and one that probably could never be replicated on the sim, is that sometimes and I must stress this, the starboard wing has a tendancy to lift upon landing. It doesnt have to be in a crosswind, it can occur in virtually non existent wind conditions, but the wing will suddenly lift without warning almost to the point of the port one making contact with the ground. This is the main reason why they have not been granted full C of As and are operated on a permit instead. No one from either Auster or the services has ever managed to work out why the 9 did it. Weird or what.

Best wishes,

Martin

I'm afraid to say that your services may be required again as am at the moment testing another Ito product and am having a few problems in slowing the thing down. Cant say anything at the moment, as it needs a bit of a rebuild, as references have been a little hard to find in Japan and a few points including its canopy and wings have to be rectified. This is in hand as a package is going out to Japan this week together with a few plans of other aeroplanes of which I hope Mr.Ito might find interesting (rest assured that are all British of course!).

M
Martin,

As you seem to have Mr Ito's ear, could you ask him if he could modify his recent Swift to remove the missiles? And if he's interested in modelling more of the family, I'm scanning in some piccies and 3-views for another forum member, he's quite welcome to have a copy as well.

Thanks

AndyG

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

AndyG wrote: Martin,

As you seem to have Mr Ito's ear, could you ask him if he could modify his recent Swift to remove the missiles? And if he's interested in modelling more of the family, I'm scanning in some piccies and 3-views for another forum member, he's quite welcome to have a copy as well.

Thanks

AndyG
I can ask, but I cant promise anything. I was so amazed that he built the AOP.9 after I initialled asked. All I did was just make a little suggestion about building an Auster and I received a reply stating that he liked to build things 'that went fast' (perhaps thats where the Gnat syndrome comes in). I supplied a series of 9 photos I'd taken myself and lo and behold the next thing I get is a email saying he was having problems with the canopy. Ten days after that it was 'finished'.

I always like to try and thank people (think it was the way I was brought up) and so just wanted to send him something as a thankyou. This I have yet to do, but when he asked for details regarding another aeroplane this was what I sent yesterday. The additional material was just to show what other information I have and probably we will never see any of them replicated. As he has an interest in British aeroplanes, I jsut thought he may have found the documents at the least interesting. I wouldn't mind a P.2 though! :))

Best wishes,

Martin

By all means send me the plans for the Swift and I will pass them on.

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

briwith wrote:Hi Martin,

I will take another look at the wing drop/rise issue but I can't promise anything. I was having a bit of trouble managing the stall characteristics so it might not be as simple as I first thought :think:

I will be interested to see the results of your liaison with Mr Ito although I wish he would get the smoothing sorted out on his models' control surfaces. He does great work but I do hate shadow effects on his ailerons, etc. I am surprised that one of our home-grown modellers isn't interested in some of the types on your "shopping list".

Regards,

Brian
No need to worry about the wingdrop, I suppose I'm just being a little greedy when you have done such a good job with the 9 flight model. Was a little late for work today, having flown her in a few circuits this morning between mouthfuls of toast and coffee. Am very pleased with the end result and so should everyone else. I havent forgotten about the panel pictures for DaveB, just need to sit down and post them off.

I think I understand what you mean with Mr.Ito's ailerons etc, they do seem a little slab orientated. I'll make a suggestion or two, but I dont want to go overboard and as his grasp of English is very basic (a lot better than our Japanese) I would never want him to take our comments as being bad. Thats the last thing I would never want to happen. As to a 'shopping list', I have just made my excuse in my last post, but I suppose I was being a little mercenary in my choice of info to send - but they are all interesting aeroplanes and I hope that he has never seen any of them before. I've now got to think of something British aviation orientated to send out as a present - was thinking of copies of Aeroplane, FlyPast and Air Enthusiast. Hopefully these cannot be purchased in Japan.

Again thanks for the 9 Flight Model. Perhaps if down this way you would like to try out the real thing? It would be my pleasure to try and organise something.

Best wishes,

Martin

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

Where can I get the updated flight model?
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

BT :doh: look back about ONE page on the thread mate

Leif

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

Oops,

Sorry! :doh: :doh: :doh:
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Just to inform you all that the 'package' has arrived in Japan. Mr Ito has admitted that the information within is a little heavy for him to understand, so we might not see any of the types therein, in our virtual skies. The one that I'm beta testing at the moment needs a total redraw as we are sort of comparing notes and cant seem to make a viable solution. I have one set of details and he another. Watch this space!!

Best wishes,

Martin