Auster AOP.9

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Auster AOP.9

Post by T6flyer »

Hello,

This is my first ever post. I suppose by now everyone has seen Mr.Ito's latest 'replica' the Auster AOP.9 and from what I can gather from reading posts on other sites, people are having a few problems with her (myself included).

I'm afraid the 9 is all down to my doing. Knowing that the gentleman built a number of British aeroplanes, I asked if he would be interested in building a 9 as currently I'm very lucky to be able to fly 4 examples.

Visually the aeroplane is correct, he has done a very good job from the photos that I supplied and all in such a short space of time too. Two and a half weeks from start to finish. The panel is a photo of G-BDFH which is XR240 and is a very good rendition of the real thing, ie replacing the real instruments with the flightsim version. As to the flightmodel, I think we must appreciate that Mr.Ito's English is not that good, but far better than our Japanese. From the emails that I received from him as the project unfolded, I can gather that the technical and history details have been lifted from another source.

After receiving the first prototype and finding that it didnt fly anything like the real thing, I sent him full details of the handling qualities (if you could call them that) of the 9, and although I tried to put it into very simple English, the air file I'm afraid is as we have it today. Hopefully someone will be able to change it to a more accurate model.

This afternoon, I flew in XR241 (the yellow one) on a CAA Test Flight for a permit renewal and made some notes besides recording the actual figures. Climb Rate from a fixed start postion at 1500' was about 800-900 feet a minute, maximum level flight at 4500' was wait for it 89mph and the VNE dive took us up to an incredible 120mph. The gauge goes up to 140mph, but the aeroplane would never get there. As to stalling speeds, the 9 stalls at 42mph clean, 37 with take off flap and 35 with full flap. But I must stress not all 9s are the same. XR240 also tested this afternoon came out a little worse in all aspects. Take off is at about 47mph and landing well 45mph. Roll out this afternoon with 10knts from left to right was about 100yds.

Hope this all helps and hopefully the little problem can be rectified. I asked him for his address and now having obtained that will send him a present as a thankyou.

Happy Landings,

Martin

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Interesting to hear Martin, and welcome to the forum. :smile:

Mr Ito does FS a good service, even if his models aren't at the top end of the quality range, and I hope he continues producing what are often models one would never dream of seeing in FS...

Charlie
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Hot_Charlie wrote:Interesting to hear Martin, and welcome to the forum. :smile:

Mr Ito does FS a good service, even if his models aren't at the top end of the quality range, and I hope he continues producing what are often models one would never dream of seeing in FS...

Charlie
Please under no circumstances can I be thought as doing anything against Mr. Ito, I'm just glad that he took me up on my suggestion and take his time and patience to build the aeroplane that we have today. I take my hat off to all these gentleman (and ladies) out there that build these wonderful replicas for us to 'fly'. I could never do it, as basically I just dont have the time or patience to create something.

We have emailled each other today and as Mr.Ito has a great interest in British aeroplanes, I know that we will see a lot more in our virtual skies in the months ahead. As he has very kindly provided me with a postal address (for me to send him a much needed thankyou), he has already asked me about other British types...so I dont think we have to worry.

Best wishes,

Martin

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

T6flyer wrote:
Please under no circumstances can I be thought as doing anything against Mr. Ito, I'm just glad that he took me up on my suggestion and take his time and patience to build the aeroplane that we have today. I take my hat off to all these gentleman (and ladies) out there that build these wonderful replicas for us to 'fly'. I could never do it, as basically I just dont have the time or patience to create something.
Indeed. I'm very much in the same boat as you, with little spare time (so I lke to kid myself :wink: :lol: ), and about 5 minutes worth of patience! Therefore I'm happy when any new model comes out. It's always good for freeware developers though when people like yourself and moderator Tonks are able to give advice on the operation of the "realware" version... :smile:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Welcome to the forum Martin and thanks very much for that. We have a very good piston prop man here in the form of Brian Withers who may (I stress may as I have no intention of dropping him in it!!) massage the airfile to get it within the parameters you've described.
I have PN's for the AOP9 that can be scanned and sent to Brian should he take up the challenge :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Welcome Martin, you lucky sod :lol: :lol:

As 'Fly like a bird' is just about my favourite aviation book, I have grown very fond of AOP 9's, but never managed a flight in one. I have had to make do with an AAC Beaver :worried: , years ago, but not quite the same.
I just wish we had a real quality AOP 9 model................hint, hint.
ATB Trev

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

calypsos wrote:Welcome Martin, you lucky sod :lol: :lol:

As 'Fly like a bird' is just about my favourite aviation book, I have grown very fond of AOP 9's, but never managed a flight in one. I have had to make do with an AAC Beaver :worried: , years ago, but not quite the same.
I just wish we had a real quality AOP 9 model................hint, hint.
Alex Kimber's book has to be about the best aviation book I have ever read, a very good read if you can get hold of it. The AOP.9 certainly has a lot of character and I suppose I am very lucky in being able to fly in these wonderful old aeroplanes. I have flown in Beavers, but alas these were all on floats, so this makes the wheeled one you ventured up in more rarer.

When I joined my local flying club at the tender age of 15, I tried to get my bum into the back of anything with wings (still do) and once asked a chap with a 9 for a seat in the back. I was duly told to 'go away' (he didnt quite use those exact words of course) and since then I have never asked for a flight again. But a spot of gentle persuasion towards me now, wont go amiss! :)

Well, if anyone wants any details on the 9, you know where to ask! Think we have everything going.

Best wishes and thanks to all for the welcome to the forum.

Martin

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

For those who have not seen it yet.

Graham

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

Welcome aboard Martin.

Nice to see another face that loves Classic British pistons.

Mark :-({|=
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

migman29 wrote:Welcome aboard Martin.

Nice to see another face that loves Classic British pistons.

Mark :-({|=
Thank you very much - its very appreciated. Although my 'nickname' reveals my true love (boo hiss), I do have a love for British aeroplanes (honest), as my 2nd favourite of all time is the Boulton Paul Balliol. Dont ask me why, but for some silly reason it is. Closest that I've found to flying that it is the Percival Provost, a delighful aeroplane to go flying in, cept being a little noisy and well expensive.

Other British types sampled are the normal Prentice and Twin Pioneer, the obligatory Rapide, Tiger Moth, Devon, Chipmunk(?), Super Ace, Austers of lots of different shapes and sizes, Terriers, Pup, Bulldog and JP.

I look forward to helping out as much as I can.

Best wishes,

Martin