Dave Maltby's VC10

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

Avant-Garde-Aclue

Dave Maltby's VC10

Post by Avant-Garde-Aclue »

Hi, I'm new to this forum, although I can see a few familiar nicknames. Not been in a forum since Mike Stone closed his hangar.

I have a repaint request which I hope will meet with your consideration.

Namely Dave Maltby's superb VC10 model in passenger/freight livery of 10 Sqn circa 1966, perhaps XR807 'Donald Garland VC' but any aircraft of your choice would be greatly appreciated.

With best regards,

Sean

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Sean and welcome to the forum.

David already has XV106 available in this livery (or close to) but it's in C1K form and not CMk1..

I'm not sure if it's possible to 'paint out' the probe and refuelling points mate.. maybe one of the painters could advise :wink:

Regards

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

How similar were the RAF VC10s to either the standard BOAC or the BUA VC10?

Is the flightsim model similar?

And then would that C1K repaint fit on to one of those civil versions?

Just a thought to make life easy :roll:

Avant-Garde-Aclue

I have all of Mr Maltby's VC10's, I only ask this as I have flown in C Mk1's on numerous occasions both as an Air Force brat and on Air Trooping flights to Canada for battlegroup training. I've always had a thing for the VC10 even have a flock of 1/144th scale models in various guises and even went mad and tried to make one in 1/72nd scale from the old Contrail Vac-form kit.

Ian as far as I am aware the RAF had both standard and Super VC10's XR807 was a standard VC10 and was the second aircraft added to the fleet in July 1966. XV104 was a super VC10 C. Mk1 and later converted to the air tanking role.

Thanks for the great forum,

Others here may remember me as Wind Dancer from Mike Stones forum

:smile: Regards

Sean
Last edited by Avant-Garde-Aclue on 20 Apr 2006, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Ian the RAF V.1106 VC 10 C1's were hybrids

Basically Super VC 10's with the fuselage of a Standard.

Or as some say Standard VC 10 with the wings, engines and fin of the Super.

Personally I have always thought of them as short fuse Supers.

You could I think get away with a civil Standard in FS

Whose going to notice the engines aren't tilted up 3 degrees at the front or the lack of a fin fuel tank

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

We'll see what pop's up Sean. There is always some kindly soul that will help us out :wink:

Ian..
They look so similar as for there not to be a problem but that isn't really the case mate. The CMk1 has the fuse of an 1103 series with the wings and engines off an 1105 (Super) so whichever way you painted one of the standard models, it would be wrong. I think it may be possible to 'paint out' the offending fuelling parts in zero black (as they won't show in the sim) but in all honesty.. painting isn't my forte :wink:

[edit] Thanks for that Garry :wink:
ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Avant-Garde-Aclue

I'm not a picky, rivets in wrong place, sort of person either a 1103 or 1105 in RAF Transport Command colours would make this happy man very old :smile:

Regards

Sean

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Sean,

I thought my befuddled mind (busy working here in between reading the forum) was confused.

But checking a VC10 production list the XV1xx series of VC10s were the same model (1106) as the XR8xx series.

So my idea was at least slightly feasible.

But thanks to the othe guys for pointing the hybrid nature of those RAF VC10s - I knew they were short fuselage, but didn't realise they had the longer wings. :doh:

How many engines of the 1106 had thrust reversers, which used to be a way of identifying Standard/Super when they were overflying? Although I can't remember which was which now :think:

Ian

Avant-Garde-Aclue

Here's the only photo I have of XV104 before it was converted to tanker duties, to my eye its basically a Super V10 with transport Command livery.

Don't quote me on it but I believe the 1106 had thrust reversers on the outboard engines only. Unfortunately most of my reference material has been shipped off to the USA where I intend retiring to later this year.

Regards

Sean :smile:

mulletman
Viscount
Viscount

Post by mulletman »

Avant-Garde-Aclue wrote:Others here may remember me as Wind Dancer from Mike Stones forum
Was about to ask....

Sorry, but off topic, but welcome here!
Image Image
Yes...and... I Like my Boeings.