Harvard Formation Team

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

UKVoodoo
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Harvard Formation Team

Post by UKVoodoo »

Hi all, im looking for details on the Harvard Formation Team from many years back which pilots like Lee Proudfoot and Gary Numan were involved in, Some friends are attempting to create an Airshow piece for an upcoming airshow and we have a Harvard and Expeditor but we can find info to be able to attempt some repaints for the individual Aircraft

Hope you can Help
Thanks
Matt

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Harvard Formation Team

Post by Motormouse »

UKVoodoo wrote:Hi all, im looking for details on the Harvard Formation Team from many years back which pilots like Lee Proudfoot and Gary Numan were involved in, Some friends are attempting to create an Airshow piece for an upcoming airshow and we have a Harvard and Expeditor but we can find info to be able to attempt some repaints for the individual Aircraft

Hope you can Help
Thanks
Matt
I may be able to help there...goes looking for photos'
back soon

Here we go, from what I recall, there were several members of the team,
some sadly no longer with us.

Anthony Hutton, was 'leader'
Gary Numan,Norman Lees,Peter Snell, Pete Treadaway,Euan English, and I think Tony Haigh-Thomas, as well as Lee Proudfoot, made up the remainder.

Two regular planes were those of Norman Lees/Euan English the cammo G-BDAM 'KT and Gary Numan's G-AZSC

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attach ... ntid=44125

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attach ... ntid=44506

you can find these two already painted up
(for the de Silva's/Cliff Presley model T6) at all nodes busy, by Gerald Flores, they're labelled as fS02 but don't worry,work OK in fs9.

My photo's from Great Warbirds,West Malling 1989, show this one

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0543342/M/

and this one

http://www.ukwarbirds.net/images/direct ... G-BGHU.jpg

as the other two for this show.

(Which is strange as Anthony Hutton's was also a cammo one, can't remember but maybe he wasn't flying at that show,I think this one was his
http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodules ... mgtype=jpg )

Hope this helps

ttfn

Pete

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

Saw 'em at Cossie back in the early '90's I think,and they were pretty good.
I remember I read off from the programme to the Mrs that they were due to appear and she was thrilled to bits as she's still a big fan of Gary Numan's music.

We were having a wander around the trade stands and I heard them
calling in on the scanner.
As we were heading back to the car,we met Gary and Lee going the other way towards the tower.The Mrs freaked a bit when I nudged her and she realised who it was.

We bid them both "Hello" and passed the time of day with them,so to speak,before going on our separate ways.

Two very nice blokes,who'd got the time to chat for a few minutes.
The Mrs "booted"me a bit for not asking for their autographs.
It was something I never even thought about.

Mark :-({|=
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

migman29 wrote:
Two very nice blokes,who'd got the time to chat for a few minutes.
The Mrs "booted"me a bit for not asking for their autographs.
It was something I never even thought about.
I met them on several occasions when I worked at airshow's.
Even rescued Gary's brother John's Tiger Moth from a 'prang' one time too, he was in the 'Diamond Nine' Tiger Moth team :smile:

Sad to say, but when you look back at that list of pilots' and see how many are no longer with us, you can hardly blame Gary for selling the Harvard.

ttfn

Pete

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

I was a groundcrew member for the HFT from 1987-1992 and then helped out with the Radial Pair, before leaving to work for Intrepid Aviation.

So..........I have a lot of material at home on virtually all of the airframes. For a period, Gary was using G-CTKL (the yellow, silver and red US Navy Instrument Training Schemed MK.IIB), so it would be nice to see that fly in the virtual skies (and I have more hours in it, than any other Harvard!).

Martin

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Just reading back through the thread. Anthony Hutton first had MK.IIB G-AZKI and then this was replaced by Mk.4 G-BIWX both for some unknown reason painted to represent FT239.

AZKI is now in France and BIWX has been re-registered as G-RAIX and painted in Edinburgh UAS Squadron Markings and is based at Yeovilton.

Martin

UKVoodoo
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by UKVoodoo »

Hi all

thanks for all the info, unfortunatly im not a repainter and im lazy and usually miss the panel lines out on my repaints if I attempt them but I had a go and came out with these

have to start on the camo harvard next to have the full set ready for the team to display, thanks again for all the help

Matt

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Excellent.....really accurate schemes IMHO. I love the Beech 18 scheme as have many a flight in the back and sometimes front of that aeroplane. She is now living at Exeter.

As to the Harvards, what more can I say....well done!!

Best wishes,

Martin

Just had a look at the Harvards and think only thing that is missing are their anti-glare panels. Still a wonderful job and its so good to get a replica of something that you've flown in, in real life, isnt it? :).

UKVoodoo
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by UKVoodoo »

Got a few mates to take the harvards up last night n made a video of it

http://download.yousendit.com/FB2619873511FB05

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

T6flyer wrote: Just had a look at the Harvards and think only thing that is missing are their anti-glare panels. Still a wonderful job and its so good to get a replica of something that you've flown in, in real life, isnt it? :).
Ummm what am I saying....I sat at home last night infront of the box and then realised I'd made a mistake...SC Gary's Harvard didnt have an antiglare panel. Whoops.

As to the camouflaged examples these would have been Anthony Hutton's Mk.4 G-BIWX painted up as FT239 and the late and great Norman Lees' MK.IIB G-BDAM was FE992. If you want to go back further there was Euan English's MK.IIA G-TEAC which was initially MC280 and then EX280 first in RAF Middle East colours and then later in a US Navy Scheme, or Anthony Haig-Thomas' MK.4 which was painted up to represent a Harvard Mk.1 (the serial number escapes me P????). This in its earlier life was a famous Reno Racer with the name 'Super Slug'.

Martin