Looking for Broadband Provider.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Nigel,

Factor in the cost of some means of attaching to Broadband, or see what is being given away free. The modem is headed for deep storage :lol:

When I got BT Broadband, they provided a USB modem which is still in VERY deep storage. I think most people would recommend an ethernet connection to the PC from the "modem". And most of those are known as "routers" which have inbuilt firewall capabilities - no problem, just switch on and go (unless you want Flight sim multiplayer :shock: ). With a permanent Broadband connection, you need something to keep out the invasion attempts.

Ian

Edit (as usual): Do you have a BT phone line or an NTL line? If not BT you may be limited with who you can choose.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

If you can get it in your area, I recomend Blueyonder. Had em for years and cant complain. Around 20 a month, 10mb cable broadband. But I will soon be needing a new modem when they upgrade the speed more (only good for about 15) :) Started off with a 1mb conection years ago when I first left dialup and havent looked back since.
Last edited by jonesey2k on 08 May 2006, 19:46, edited 2 times in total.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

TobyVickers wrote:One thing I would say is that different providers seem to be better or worse in different areas. I dont dispute what Dave B is saying about BT, but when I was with them in Southampton, it went down every few days all the time we had it, sometimes for hours at a time, but I jsut accepted this as normal as this was the first BB I had ever had. Back here with Wanadoo and I have hardly ever had a problem in 2 years now. I know on the other hand some people hate Wanadoo!

NTL is a funny one too. They often appear on Watchdog for dismal customer service and fault fixing and this would appear to be bone-out by experiences of friends down in Soton, but NTL has grown through expansion and purchase of other operators, hence service actually varies a lot depending on your location.
Hi Nige,

Unfortunately I am going to totally disagree with Toby and offer you the chance before you sign up, DON'T GO WITH WANADOO!.

I have had nothing but hassle. Initially they were fine with no issues whatsoever. The problem arose with the 'free' upgrade to 8mb with in turn had the opposite effect and resulted in my having around dial up speeds for weeks. I looked at the website mentioned above for any feedback relating to technical issues with WANADOO's upgrade service & it appeared plagued with complaints and people in a similar set of circumstances.

In the end after countless calls to an Indian based call centre, I became sick & tired of constantly repeating the problem to a fresh member of staff who knew nothing about my problems. I was given no job reference or individual to build a rapport with. It became a nightmare. (I posted a topic about it on here some months back).

I won't even go into how much it cost me in calls to Wanadoo helpdesk. :curse:

I know very little about PC's and never found out what the problem was. All I knew was I was paying for a service that was'nt being provided in accordance with the contract. Luckily I had completed more than 12 months so I ended it

In the end I binned them but the final insult was the fact that it took almost a month for the 'marker' to be removed from my line, which has to be removed prior to any new ISP creating an account.

By word of mouth & friends I went for the BT package and so far have had three months now, of hassle free surfing & usage.

I believe their call centre is in India which naturally, have no issues with as long as their staff are competant. Unlike some I could mention!
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Is Blueyonder not part of Telewest which is now part of NTL?

So cable broadband? :dunno:

Lost track of who's who :sad:

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

ianhind wrote:Is Blueyonder not part of Telewest which is now part of NTL?

So cable broadband? :dunno:

Lost track of who's who :sad:
NTL bought Telewest but the areas are still seperate as far as I'm aware. Blueyonder is another provider. If you're in an NTL area then it's either NTL or a BT based service.

You cannot have adsl through a cable phoneline though so changing from NTL to adsl means a change of phone provider as well.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

I am sure I will be axed for this, but I have always used AOL with no major problems. The times I have had little problems, the free helpline have always fixed them.
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Jetset wrote:I am sure I will be axed for this, but I have always used AOL with no major problems. The times I have had little problems, the free helpline have always fixed them.
Go and stand in the corner and think about what you just said :tuttut:

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

:shock: :crying: :crying: :redface: :-#
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Charlie Bravo wrote:
Jetset wrote:I am sure I will be axed for this, but I have always used AOL with no major problems. The times I have had little problems, the free helpline have always fixed them.
Go and stand in the corner and think about what you just said :tuttut:
Jesus are they that bad? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

AOL are for people who don't know any bettter...... and Jetset of course :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: