North American Harvard...

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

thehappyotter wrote: Glad you've still got that, took me bloody hours... :shock:

Was particulaly proud of that one.
HappyOtter...Thank you for your work. I'm delighted with it :dance:

Just toured your website...Very nice it is too...I'm downloading the SoundPack for the Trident 3 at the moment and then I'll make one of my flight "Recordings" in it...Should be nice to watch AND listen to :smile:

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

britishtourer wrote:Peter,

Thanks for sharing your training hours. I'm a bit worried now cause I'll be doing my PPL in just 45 hours!!!

Any tips?

Thanks!

Wear something that will not chafe your neck as you screw your head round to keep a good lookout.

Listen intently to everything your instructor says and act on it, so that he doesn't have to say it again.

Know what airspeed you need and never be satisfied with less.

If there are ground classes or flying in the afternoon then NEVER have a lunchtime drink (even half a pint of beer), or the afternoon will be wasted.

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

petermcleland wrote:
T6flyer wrote: As to the Harvard coded K-R, this could be FX427 which did wear this combination. This was duly SOC'd in May 1957 too.

The FS2004 Harvard Mk.4 is painted up to represent FE905, which was a Noorduyn built MK.IIB which served with No.41 SFTS and then was transferred to the RCAF. Fate unknown.
Thanks Martin,

Yes, I flew KF972 quite a lot at Feltwell...Don't know about KR though as I didn't fly a 427...For some extraordinary reason we had to record the Harvard numbers with those two large letters and the three numbers of the registration...So KF972 is shown in my logbook as RN972.

I don't appear to have flown a KR...so perhaps I just used it for posing :redface:

My first solo in a Harvard was on 1st January 1952 in RY438, after 6 hours 50 mins dual with Flying Officer Cooper. My final handling test was with Sqdn.Ldr. Len Trent V.C. in RJ265 on 6th May 1952.

Total hours for the course was 196 hrs 30 mins
Prentice total was 62 hours
Harvard total was 134 hours 30 mins

Sorry if that is boring but it may be of interest to people training today :smile:
Well I find it all interesting. My total time on those types is 20 minutes in the Prentice and 39 hours in Harvards. I think that the K-R machine is not a 3 FTS example, but a 22 FTS one. Will have a look through the records I have for the others and report back. What a weird way of having to record your aircraft flown.

As to the FS2004 version, I didnt realise that this was the one in the RAF Museum. Had a look at home and found the following:
Built as a Harvard Mk.IIB with the c/n 14a-639 and the Lend Lease serial 42-12392. Taken on charge by the RCAF as FE905 on 23 March 1943 and seemed to have been in storage for most of its useage with them as total hours was only 74 hours. Then placed into storage until purchased by the Royal Danish Air Force in September 1949. Given the serial '31-329' it was handed over officially on 11 Sept 1950. Struck off charge on 31 August 1960 with a total of 1,903 hours. Sold in Norway and was used by Fjellfly at Skien as LN-BNM. Acquired by the Historic Aviation Museum at Southend in 1970 and arrived in May 1972. When the Museum closed in the early 1980s, it was bought by a gentleman called Paul Raymond (!) and was intended to be displayed in the Whitehall Theatre of War. Instead was placed into stortage, before being obtained by the RAF Museum. Restored at Cardington before displayed at Newark and then Hendon.

Martin

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

T6flyer wrote:[ What a weird way of having to record your aircraft flown.
Yes, I expect it was some "bee in the bonnet" of one of the Flight Commanders or instructors...The Harvard is the only aircraft in my logbook to be recorded in that way.

The photo of me on the wing of KR could only have been taken at 3 FTS Feltwell...Perhaps the aircraft was on loan or visiting and conveniently placed for posing on :lol:

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

petermcleland wrote:
T6flyer wrote:[ What a weird way of having to record your aircraft flown.
Yes, I expect it was some "bee in the bonnet" of one of the Flight Commanders or instructors...The Harvard is the only aircraft in my logbook to be recorded in that way.

The photo of me on the wing of KR could only have been taken at 3 FTS Feltwell...Perhaps the aircraft was on loan or visiting and conveniently placed for posing on :lol:
I will see what I can to do as to the others and will report back.

Martin

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

Thanks for your advice Peter!

I am someone who listens to the instructor intently anyway, as I want to be the best pilot I can be, but I have added the following to my list:

Non woolen jumper with low neck
List of airspeeds for C152's
Reminder to be TT for the duration of my training

Thank you very much for your tips Peter. You are a great inspiration to me. :smile:
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

petermcleland wrote:
My first solo in a Harvard was on 1st January 1952 in RY438, after 6 hours 50 mins dual with Flying Officer Cooper. My final handling test was with Sqdn.Ldr. Len Trent V.C. in RJ265 on 6th May 1952.
RY438 was KF438 which served with 3 FTS from December 1951 until February 1955. Was scrapped in May 1957.

RJ265 was KF265 which when originally sent to 3 FTS was coded FBT-R, before becoming R-J. This too came out of service in February 1955 and was scrapped in October 1957.

Martin

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Thanks Martin...I've made a suitable not in my logbook :smile: